MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what level of modification would a Mini have to be at to keep up with a stock MINI "S" on your average sports car track...whattaya think???

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
how about a JCW Cooper with a Superchip :confused: :confused:

I know the ECU is upgraded by I wonder if you could get a 'works superchip' :confused: :confused: :cool: :cool:

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
kshapiro said:
At what level of modification would a Mini have to be at to keep up with a stock MINI "S" on your average sports car track...whattaya think???
Fact is that a properly prepared race car will nearly always be quicker round a circuit than it's road counterpart

Take the Mini Miglias for instance they look like a mini and have an A series engine but do 0-60 in about 4 secs and you would be hard pushed to find anything road legal to keep up with them

I'm sure the same will apply to MINI's - The JCW Club Sports are designed to be road/race cars - an unmodified 'S' vs a Club Sport well I'm sure someone will do it soon !!! - IF you were to strip a JCW CS and take away it's road legal status ie slicks etc. I suspect the same would be true as for the Miglias ie any road legal MINI would find it hard to keep up

Now whatever is said about mini vs MINI years of technological advances have a distinct advantage - I would say that if both the Mini and the MINI have to be road legal and you need to keep up with a stock MINI 'S' you are going to have to do some fairly hefty mods

·
Registered
448 Posts
Those Miglias are pretty special, though - completely trick suspension setups and engines costing more than the list price for a brand-new Rover Mini.

From what I've seen so far, I'd be surprised if a JCW Cooper could hold off a stock S, tyres being equal - there's too much of a power advantage to the S, and the suspension setups don't look sufficiently different to make much back. Plus of course the S has that funky 6-speed 'box. I'd expect the JCW Challenge to move to Cooper S Works in due course - now that should be something really special!

The current Works will clearly score over the MINI Cooper, though.

I'm wondering if I've misunderstood the question. By modified "Mini" do you mean the original Austin/BL/Rover Mini? If so, there are probably modded cars out there that will keep up with the S, but they'll be pretty wild machines. My modified Mini Cooper almost certainly won't be able to - and that's with an expensive engine and modified suspension settings. The design's just too old to compete with modern machinery unless heavily modified from standard.

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
Viscount Charles said:
I'd expect the JCW Challenge to move to Cooper S Works in due course - now that should be something really special!
Oh lets hope so :) or maybe not - I suspect that a heavily modified under-engineered car will fare far better on the race track than a slighlty modded over-engineered car -

The design's just too old to compete with modern machinery unless heavily modified from standard.
This is the most important point so often Mr GTI Mk2 forgets that 10 years of technology means that his grandads bog std Focus will leave him for dead -

I think I slightly mis-read Q as well I think it's a Mini vs MINI think but since kshapiro doesn't seem to have come back it doesn't seem to matter:confused:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Tyres make a big difference too.....

Its been said before.....

Put racing tyres on a standard Scooby and itll kick seven colours out of the Works Scooby on Normal Tyres...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts