MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work in the restaurant and someone snatch the purse when I left the work place, lost all my ID, Credit Card, phone etc. The problem is my MINI Master key are gone too. Now the bad guys know where I work and have the key to my MINI.

I did went to the dealer trying to find out how much it cost to rekey all locks but they told me I need to get all new keys, computer and more...
Parts alone cost $600 and 10 hours labor for $110 an hour. Total almost $1700. I can't afford that much money. They even want to try to charge me $110 to reprogram so the master key won't work in the car but now they disable all my remote and I have to open the door manually.

Anyone have any suggestion on what to do. With out rekeying the lock, the bad guy still can go in to the mini.

1) If I order the same master key for replacement, can the dealer reprogram all my key so the car won't start with the stolen key and can the bad guys able to remotely open the door with the stolen key?

2) Can the bad guy still use the unprogram stolen key to open all windows manually using the stolen key by inserting to the door lock?

3) If I install a mini alarm, will the bad guy still can disable the mini alarm manually by some way?

4) Lastly anyone know where I can order a replacement master key ? my dealer charge me $200

My dealer don't even know what to do and they need to research it and get back with me.

Any help would be appericated.

My last resort is to trade in my mini and get another one, but the dealer said I will lose $6000 since I had my mini for 5 months...

04 Mini Cooper S...

:confused:

·
MINI2
49 Posts
mo168,

You said they got your ID. Did your ID have your current home address? If so, the theives could come to your home and take your car there, too. You may need to change your locks on your home/apartment if they got those keys too.

To be safe, I would park my car at a friend's home, or in a secured garage until you find a solution.

1) If I order the same master key for replacement, can the dealer reprogram all my key so the car won't start with the stolen key and can the bad guys able to remotely open the door with the stolen key?
This is a good idea, but I do not know if it can be done. Hopefully, someone can shed some light here.

2) Can the bad guy still use the unprogram stolen key to open all windows manually using the stolen key by inserting to the door lock?
Yes, since the door lock is mechanical and the key matches the lock, it would still open the doors.
If you have all of the locks changed, then the answer would be no.

3) If I install a mini alarm, will the bad guy still can disable the mini alarm manually by some way?
I think the answer is yes, as the master key would still unlock the car and disable the alarm automatically. Unless, you change all locks and keys. Also, if your idea in #1 can be done then, I think the alarm could not be disabled.

4) Lastly anyone know where I can order a replacement master key ? my dealer charge me $200
I think only the dealer can help you with the key. Anyone else know of another solution?

As for losing $6000, I think you could do much better by cutting the dealer out of the equation. By that, I mean try to sell the car yourself at close to what you paid for it. If the miles are low (< 7000 miles) then I think you could get a very good price for your car since the Mini holds its value so well. Then, once you sell your car, you could order another one. But, this is a bit of a painful solution.

I think your best bet is to retrofit all of the locks for new keys. Perhaps it might be best to get another quote from a different Mini dealer. Another dealer might have a better price for you.

Good luck.

Mitch

·
Registered
362 Posts
Search the forums. Others have said about $100 for a key and $50 for reprogramming to remove the other keys. Once removed they might as well be VW keys for all the use they will be to the bad guys.

The mechanical keys will still get them into the car, but so will a brick through the window.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Can you not have this work done under your insurance, I know the car sin't damaged but surely your insurance company would rather pay for new keys and locks than a whole new car if it gets nicked. You should declare the information to them anyway and see what advice they have. Oh, and best of luck getting it sorted, I'd be really :bad::bad::bad::bad:ed off too :D

·
Sullivan Racing
1,117 Posts
Mini Lou said:
I know the car sin't damaged but surely your insurance company would rather pay for new keys and locks than a whole new car if it gets nicked. :D
Don't bet on it, though. As a claims adjuster, I know that insurance won't pay to prevent damages, no matter how much since it makes. i.e.-We won't pay to remove a tree that is obviously a threat to fall on a home. When it falls and destroys the house, it's a covered loss. But prior to it falling, it is a maintenance issue.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well, you can look at it this way as well... loose about $2000.00 to rekey, $6000 to trade in, or potentially loose your MINI... Have you notified the police? You might also luck out, and it could be someone who just wnated the money in your wallet, and then toss the purse...if you garage your MINI, I would start with getting new locks at home, at the very least. If not, take someone else's suggestion and park at a friends, or neighbors... The only place to get a new key is a dealer- and they will only do it if the verified owner of the car is there, it prevents any yahoo from stealing a car, and getting it done... good luck to you, I hope things work out! (call the police if you havent already, and make a report) I would also contact your insurance....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for everyone response.

I did change my lock in my house, but luckly my address on the licnese is my old address hopefully they will not able to find me unless they follow me home.

As for my Mini, I still haven't decide what to do. I was thinking just order a new master key and hopefully the dealer can make the old master key remote don't work. Then I will have someone either glue or plug up the door lock hole on the mini.

·
fun fun fun!
206 Posts
mo168 said:
As for my Mini, I still haven't decide what to do. I was thinking just order a new master key and hopefully the dealer can make the old master key remote don't work. Then I will have someone either glue or plug up the door lock hole on the mini.
hrmm... i dont tihnk to glue/plug up the key hole is a good idea.. what if your remote dies? ;) :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts