MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks

I'm a long-time Mini fan, bought my first (original type) aged 18, had another 3 before moving to an R53 Cooper & now an R56 Cooper S.

Everything seems fine & dandy but can I hell get the stop / strat engine thingy to work. I'm 90 miles in now & the engine hasn't switched off once. My driving style is to coast up to the car in front with the clutch down, stop, handbrake on, out of gear, clutch up.

Anyone know if I'm doing something wrong here or is it a trip back to the dealers?

thanks

Mick

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Hi there....

First of all - check your car has the stop start feature, as it was not available on the R56 from launch. There should be the button to disable it just infront of the gear lever with an 'A' on the button. If the button isn't there, yours doesn't have it.

Certain conditions have to be met for the stop/start feature to work. Firstly, the engine must be up to temperature, so it may not work for the first 15/20 minutes of a journey.

Next, it won't work if there is a large current draw on the engine.... so if you're running the CD Player, aircon, heated windows, heated seats whilst programming your satnav, it probably won't work.

There are a few other conditions also, but can't remember off the top of my head. Live with it for a while, and see if it springs into life (or cuts out :p), if not, get the dealer to take a look :)

Jon

·
Registered
54 Posts
my engine can switch off after a few minute started car in the morning.

if i turn aircon on, the engine will also switch off. but once the inside car get hot, the enigne switch back on wiht the aircon.

i also tested yesterday that, while engine switched off, if i leave the car rolling in the traffic jam, and the car is high speed than 2 mph, the engine will start on again.

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Its when it doesnt re-start you have to worry :p (no, im not gonna forget tht damned car!)

Like Jon says certain conditions mean it wont work...others are if you take of your seatbelt, and also if the bonnet was to be open..though driving along the road these wouldnt happen :p Coasting up to the junctions may not be helping, try it without doing that :)

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
I think it doesn't work below 3ºC or something like.
Shouldn't be a problem at the moment, unless you live and drive in a very large underground refrigerator ;)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Mine can kick in at the second set of lights from the house, which in real terms is five minutes away. I get the system to work flawlessly (footbrake-neutral-clutch up). The digital readout sitting on 0 MPH

I think it’s the fact your using your handbrake on before you put the clutch up……its something I’ve never done yet I don’t think. Plus when was the build date, does it have Stop/start? You would have a button to switch it off. I also had a friend not with a mini that removed a fuse to get past a safety thing that was annoying him. Check the fuse for it is there.

just off the top of my head.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gents

Thanks for all the input.

I took a friends S out today & got their stop/start working flawlessly. Dopped in to my dealers today & they had a quick look, agreed it's not working & the car goes in next Tuesday to be sorted.

I'll update you on the cause then.

thanks again

Mick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wel it took 2 days but the problem seems to have been a very low battery. The car had been sat at the dealers for a month, undriven & I had done so few & so short journeys it hadn't fully recharged.

On the down side, I now have the infamous diesel engine rattle on cold start-up. :rolleyes:

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
At least it was something simple to sort out!!
I guess the only answer at the moment to the cold engine rattle is to turn on the stereo until the engine is warm!!

·
Mini Design Philosopher
1,028 Posts
After 21,000 miles of ownership I discovered a new feature the other day, pull on the handbrake while driving (only attempt slightly at a few mph of course) and a red warning symbol illuminates accompanied by a warning sound. :D:D:D

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
After 21,000 miles of ownership I discovered a new feature the other day, pull on the handbrake while driving (only attempt slightly at a few mph of course) and a red warning symbol illuminates accompanied by a warning sound. :D:D:D
Thanks for that, wouldn't want to try it too often though. You may end up with a sore Mini :D

·
Living in Mini Wasteland
351 Posts
At least it was something simple to sort out!!
I guess the only answer at the moment to the cold engine rattle is to turn on the stereo until the engine is warm!!
You can also find this out when your 6 year old son decides that it is time to pull the parking brake even though you have barely pulled into the driveway when coming home.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We've had our dooper for 9 months now and done approx 9000miles. Approx once or twice a month it refuses to start again on the clutch, normally at traffic lights which causes the expected peeping of horns from those behind!! I ve just been reading supa-dupa-coopers sage whith her dooper( been away from mini2 at briskoda for the last few months and was surprised to find she had defected to an S!!) Has anybody else had this problem and if so what was the cure?

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
We've had our dooper for 9 months now and done approx 9000miles. Approx once or twice a month it refuses to start again on the clutch, normally at traffic lights which causes the expected peeping of horns from those behind!! I ve just been reading supa-dupa-coopers sage whith her dooper( been away from mini2 at briskoda for the last few months and was surprised to find she had defected to an S!!) Has anybody else had this problem and if so what was the cure?
Sorry :eek:

...much prefer the S though :D And the stop/start works! :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
Start stop doesn't work !

I bought my Mini Cooper S new on 1st March this year and have had lots of problems with the start-stop system. It's now back in the garage for the 5th time for repair.
To be honest, I think they are struggling to find the solution.
It seems to work OK for a while and then it just stops working altogether.
Apparently, BMW have now issued some sort of communication to the dealers about this so other people must be experiencing the same problem.
I am now at the stage of threatening legal action to have the car replaced or recieve a refund.
Has anybody else suffered similar experiences ???:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there....
Certain conditions have to be met for the stop/start feature to work. Firstly, the engine must be up to temperature, so it may not work for the first 15/20 minutes of a journey.
Next, it won't work if there is a large current draw on the engine.... so if you're running the CD player, aircon, heated windows, heated seats whilst programming your satnav, it probably won't work.
Jon
I can confirm what minicabrio says here and what Macko was told. My wife's (March '08) Cooper D recently stopped Stop/Starting (even with the engine fully warmed up and everything electrical switched off), so she took it in and the dealer said it was because the battery was low. One recharged battery (or a 10-20 mile trip) was enough to restore normal service.

My wife hadn't taken the Min on a long trip for about 3 weeks/1 month before she noticed a problem - it just happened to have all been short journeys (4-5 miles each way) into work and back during August/September. Now we know what to expect, we're making sure that the car gets regular exercise! :D

It's not really a fault, as long as you know about it, but it seems a bit daft that a system to reduce fuel consumption/emissions in traffic gives up so easily when used in exactly those conditions. Let's hope it's just that the threshold for battery condition is set high for the Stop/Start system to continue working, rather than a too-weak battery . . .:confused:

TTFN

Jeremy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts