MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was driving my r53 cooper s this morning. I had been driving for about 10-15 mins then got onto the motorway and give it a decent rev when joining. I didn't red line it but got close.

When I come off the motorway I noticed a strange noise, like a low rumble, maybe misfire type noise.

I've pulled all the spark plug covers out and put them back in, none had popped out. The car is ticking over fine but doesn't sound right, it sounds like an exhaust blow or something. The engine oil is fine, coolant is ok.

The car has done 139k and had new plugs, filters etc about 4 months ago.

I've tried to take a video of it, the alternator pulley is making a flutter in this. It's a low type noise and more noticeable when I walk to the door of the car of you can notice.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

https://youtu.be/05ZQJB-hHPE

Thanks

· Registered
13,595 Posts
Hi,

I was driving my r53 cooper s this morning. I had been driving for about 10-15 mins then got onto the motorway and give it a decent rev when joining. I didn't red line it but got close.

When I come off the motorway I noticed a strange noise, like a low rumble, maybe misfire type noise.

I've pulled all the spark plug covers out and put them back in, none had popped out. The car is ticking over fine but doesn't sound right, it sounds like an exhaust blow or something. The engine oil is fine, coolant is ok.

The car has done 139k and had new plugs, filters etc about 4 months ago.

I've tried to take a video of it, the alternator pulley is making a flutter in this. It's a low type noise and more noticeable when I walk to the door of the car of you can notice.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

https://youtu.be/05ZQJB-hHPE

Thanks
maybe snout bearing on charger, put a screw driver on it and to your ear it will transmit the noise try this all around the engine see what get and where, 137000 miles and sticking in red line hmmm getting to old to be doing that to much without and bang at end of it lol

· Registered
13,595 Posts
Thanks, I didn't really get much chance to give it a rev but gutted as I was planning on selling this month so hope it's an easy fix.

Never heard of the snout bearing, where is that located?

Thanks
where the pulley is for the super charger its first bearing in the case. also have more bearing at rear of super charger and a couple inside as well ie where the tapered snout joins the rotors or the super charger these dont tend to fail as much that said anything can break when forced

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.