MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bear with me on this.......... it will (hopefully ) make sense at the end.........

My wife has an 08 Copper S courtesy car as a result of someone rear ending our 2007 Cooper S. We bought the 2007 Cooper S in early summer under the Mini Cherished scheme.

When we set the heating on our 2007 Cooper S to screen/floor or floor we get on hell of a cold air coming from the gap around the lower part of the steering column. Its alot worse when its set to floor only and is very uncomfortable at motorway speeds now the weather is colder. With my wife being quite short she sits a lot closer to the steering wheel and column and finds the volumeof cold air so bad that she cannot have the heating set to the floor.
I initially thought it was a trait of the car, but my wife has just driven the 2008 courtesy car and it does not have the same fault.

This suggests that increased air pressure of blowing the air through the lower vents is showing up a split in the ducting between the fan motor drawing cold air in and the heater matrix.

Added to this my wife cannot believe how different the steering and handling is on the courtesy Cooper S. I've posted on here how twitchy the steering is and unpredictable the car can be when braking on bumpy roads. Hitting a cateye on the motorway makes the steering twitch on our 2007 car. The other comment my wife made was that she could take one hand off the steering wheel of the 2008 car without any worries, yet its not something she be confident about in our car. Being my 1st Mini I've posted on here and others have reported similar experiences, and I've put the whole handling thing down to run-flats and it being a smaller car than I've ever driven before.

The heater fault with a dislodged ducting and the handling issues compared to a new Cooper S is now giving me concerns that the car's possibly had a front end impact prior to me purchasing it. I'll drive the 2008 Cooper S myself tonight and see if the difference really is night and day.

Has anyone else had this issue regarding their heating?

Cheers ....... Nick

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
Regarding your handling issues, that could be down to the size of the wheels/tyres you are on. With 16" and non runflat, the ride is much smoother and refined, however on 17"'s with runflats it can be bumpy. Could be a simple solution to that!

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Regarding your handling issues, that could be down to the size of the wheels/tyres you are on. With 16" and non runflat, the ride is much smoother and refined, however on 17"'s with runflats it can be bumpy. Could be a simple solution to that!
I have just driven the courtesy 2008 Cooper S; which is shod with the same Crown spoke alloys and identical Dunlop 17inch runflat tyres as my Cooper S; and it feels completely different and more stable. The courtesy car does not jink left/right on bumpy roads and under braking feels an awfull lot more stable and I don't have to fight a squirming steering wheel.
There really is something quite amiss with my Cooper S at the front end. :frown: I really couldn't understand why people raved about its handling based on how I found my car to drive. :hmph:

Re- the heating the courtesy car does leak a small amount of hot air from round the stering column when the heaters is set to the floor setting, again quite different to my Cooper S.

The one annoying thing the courtesy car shares with mine is the whistle from the drivers door window seal at the B pillar at motorway speed.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I'd have a word with the garage when you take the courtesy car back, and ask them to take yours for a spin, so they can see for themselves.

Hopefully they'll put your 07 on a jig when they repair the rear end, so it might throw up any alignment issues at the front.

PS - Might even be best to mention it whilst they're repairing it - the workshop guy was very helpful when I picked my car up, and was happy to advise on dismantling the dash etc.

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definately going to ring the body shop tomorow, they're having to check the wheel alignment as the passenger rear wheel took a good knock when the back of my car was run into.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Definately going to ring the body shop tomorow, they're having to check the wheel alignment as the passenger rear wheel took a good knock when the back of my car was run into.
Have you had your suspension checked? That said, you may have purchased a car with...sports suspension.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts