MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading with interest about the strange opennings people have been experiencing with their Minis. When leaving for work in the morning I discovered my Mini flashing its indicator lights three times (as it does when you lock/unlock) After five seconds the cycle repeated itself, as it would if you continued to press the close button on the key. I thought this might be an indication that I had been broken into and then realised that I didn't have an alarm!

I then openned the car using the button, which subsequently shut itself immediately. In order to get into the car I had to open with the button and quickly open the door. Once inside all the locks went down. I thought the worse and expected spending the day in the car in a dressing gown until someone went past! The problem only stopped once I had gone for a spin around the block.

This seems to be a slight variation on the openning problem but with less serious consequences. Has anyone else encountered this?

I would also like to thank the person who posted a message about early Mini One builds not being fitted with an adjustable passenger seat (Salt Package) and the refund being given to customers by dealerships for this. I knew nothing of this and so quickly contacted my dealer (Barons of Farnborough)who did their usual innocent, "Have we not contacted you? Ohh, I am surprised, must be a computer slip up". What rubbish. They are now going to send a credit note, so to that person thank you, it was £50 I knew nothing about.

I also enquired as to why the back windscreen wiper does not work when in reverse (as stated in the brochure). Some sort of strange typo. Does this not equate to false advertising?

Something else as well, when I order my Mini, 9th July, the Minidisc option did not appear on their system although it did in their brochure. If I request it now do you think I will just have to pay the £100, as if it is a factory fit?

Thanks for all you help, I feel very much enlightened. The problem is I know no different, I just thought my boot was stiff, and hence I have to slam it! Thanks to everyone, I shall be getting it fixed.

Dan

·
Registered
330 Posts
Daniel Gill said:
Something else as well, when I order my Mini, 9th July, the Minidisc option did not appear on their system although it did in their brochure. If I request it now do you think I will just have to pay the £100, as if it is a factory fit?
Sorry to hear about your problems, they do indeed sound like a varaiation on the 'christine' type. Is your car garaged? Has it been recently washed? Has it been particularly cold at night? (Sorry to ask, but I'm just trying to get a handle on this. It doesn't appear to be an ECU problem but may be related to moisture affecting the sensors).

As for getting a mini-disc for £100. Not likely. Probably >£475. Check this thread from the ICE forum

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3444

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As you mention it, it was quite a cold night and a little wet beforehand. There have been colder nights recently but perhaps there is some connection.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Daniel Gill said:
...Has anyone else encountered this?...
Dan
Hmmm, I got locked in my car today. I had locked the central locking after I drove using the toggle switch.

Then when I finished my journey I attempted to open the drivers door using the 'open the door twice' feature. And I found I was locked in!

Using the toggle switch didn't do anything and I had to open the drivers window and use the outside door handle!

Has anyone else had this happen?? Did you get a fix from the dealer? Did they say what the problem was?

(By the way, the passengers door was working OK and would unlock using the door handle x2.)

Sigh...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car is booked in to the garage for them to have a look. As I said before I very much took the little problems I had for granted as I knew no different. Therefore the communitiy of Mini2 can be attributed to the ever inceasing list of problems I have asked the garage to fix which include,

Fuel Gauge, 3/4 problem
Required to slam boot
Clicking sound when turning steering wheel past 3 and 9 '0'clock
Grinding sound heard when braking
Veering to the left slightly
+ this strange light problem that happened only the once.

I am going away for a long weekend as so I shall be leaving it with the garage to fix in their own time.

Personally I don't think they will find anything wrong with the light problem but we live in hope.

Dan

·
Registered
577 Posts
You are proof of what I have long suspected. Only a handful of MINI owners are aware of MINI2. Full production means around 8,000-10,000 cars per month rolling off the line. How many cars have been built and sold so far? I would guess at least 15,000, perhaps more. There are perhaps a hundred MINI owners on this site. Most MINI owners probably notice weird problems but think it is only peculiar to their car. Others just "live with it" figuring it is too much trouble to bother the dealer, or that it is "normal." You found this website and discovered other people had the same problems you did. Misery loves company, so I have a suggestion. All the MINI owners on MINI2 should print up some small business-card sized notes, plain paper would be fine, with "Come to www.mini2.com" on it. Carry them with you and pop one under the wiper of any parked MINI you see. It is possible the niggles are far more widespread than you might think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts