MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
tenderidol,

I had the same problem on my 2003 MCS, it ended up being one of the hoses coming from the PCV valve. Upon release of throttle, the hose would collapse a bit (like a garden hose with no pressure) and make the noise. Easiest thing to do , is pop the hood, and blip the throttle. The hose on my MCS that was flaky was right next to the intercooler, the tech saw it right away. Oh, and to test it, have a friend blip the throttle for you while you hold the hose tight, it will stop making the noise. Hope this helps! let us know if that's what it is. :-D

·
Registered
102 Posts
T-idol,

no, i my case it was not a loose hose, but rather one that seemed to have lost it's rigidity. it seemed like it flexed too much and was restricting flow. It was something they took one look at, and determined it was defective.

off topic reply : funny, i bought my MCS in NJ, and took a Road trip to Atlanta (I was also in school at the time...I'm a Ramblin' Wreck...you?). Unfortunately, I had to trade in my old MCS (reliability issues...many of them), but I am now going back to one in a few months. I graduated less than 2 years ago, so i've been discovering Atlanta very much recently.

keep me posted on the outcome!

·
Registered
102 Posts
T-idol,

The hose feeds into/out from the PCV valve, which has to do with emissions I think. something Crankcase Ventilation...Pressure maybe? I'll Googlewhack it later. Anyway, apparently, the PCV valve takes any unburned gas (?) and feeds it back into the air intake so it can be burnt up instead of spitting back out into the atmosphere. I think. someting along those lines. I don't think it's BAD to drive with it this way, maybe it wouldn't pass inspection?

I had my PCV valve hose replaced when I got my coolant expansion tank replaced at the same time they re-assembled my crumbling passenger door :-D. yeah, i don't have that MCS anymore :-(. Has your 03 been good to you otherwise?

keep us updated, and thanks for the pic!

·
Registered
102 Posts
GTMini,

after I had my PCV hose replaced, I drove for another 12K miles until i traded the MCS in, and I did not have any problems. I have a buzz waiting to go on the window of my soon to be MCS (whenever I get around to ordering a 2005 that is). I'm excited to be going back to it :)

T-idol,

Emory is cool, but if you were a UGA person, i'd have to talk trash :p Sounds like you had a lot of the problems I had with my 2003...the last straw what when my tranny needed to be replaced :-(. But i must admit, none of my problems were lingering, once they fixed it, everything was all good. Good luck, keep us updated!

·
Registered
102 Posts
T-idol, were you able to get this resolved today?

Aaaah yes, Under the Couch. I worked at the Music Listening Room in the student center and started bringing in bands to play on a weekly basis. I used Under the Couch to get some good leads for bands :) great place. Did you ever visit the Music Listening Room while you were at Tech/playing at UTC?

jcssinnh, Only on the field are the Bulldogs my enemies! i have almost as many UGA friends as I do tech friends. Where's the hate man???? haha, jk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.