MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 MCS - just weird problem with my clutch - when depressed and release I hear a squel noise from car. Of course I had turn the engine off inorder to hear the noise.

Anyone with this problem and know what it is?. Someone said it could be air in my clutch ?

Cheers,

Cliff

·
Registered
30 Posts
yes-I have had this problem to-(I have an 04 mcs). I noticed that the problem started to occur about this summer, especially on the clutch relapse, after I had been driving around for awhile, and I am generally a hard driver. At first I thought it was the suspension, but limited it to the clutch. Generally the less smoother the shift, the louder the squeek, is this not correct? A sort of high pitched eerrk? You coud really make it sound off by just depressing the clutch, and then letting it go with out blipping the throttle or shifting-then it would really erk. I have heard stuff like clutch relapse spring, dirt, somethings grinding in the clutch, and everything like this, but no one seemed to know. I just drove it gingerly and with time it went away. I think I can ever so slightly hear the erk now if bad clutch timing occurs. The point is, I dont think it is anything major or anything to worry about and will go away with time. :cool:

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Got my '02 Cooper booked in at the dealers for the same strange clutch noise next month! :confused:

I've had exactly the same as you guys for around 6 months, just haven't got round to taking it in. Warranties up middle of next year so I thought I'd start being picky now! ;)

Never slipped or anything, but it's just a strange "squeak" type noise when pulling away.

If you do a search on here, I think you will find it is more common than you'd think! :(

·
Registered
139 Posts
Here is my story on my 03 MCS (~28Kmiles)...

It started as a very minute friction first about 6 months ago... When I first started the car, it was very smooth and no problem. After driving around for 10-15 miles -especially when stuck in traffic using the clutch a lot- it used to get worse. There is the audible "squeak", as well as a very bad friction. I warmed up the car until it shows up nicely, took it to the dealer and asked the service adviser to test it. If I were to take it directly in the morning, they would have come back saying "cannot reproduce the problem".

After it was diagnosed, the dealer replaced the slave clutch cylinder first, no improvement; then replaced the master clutch cylinder, still no change... Last week they got an approval from MINI to replace the entire clutch assembly. So far, the new clutch feels good. It is smooth again with no friction or noise...

I would keep an eye on it and document the problem "early", in case something worse shows up down the road. Since the clutch is a "wear/tear" item, the approach of each dealer to fix it varies to a great extent...

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey guys-its obvious were all having the same problem-whatever it is in the clutch/trans. Although Im pretty sure mine has gone away, :) and I havent undergone any non-scheduled service in that area, Does officially know what the problem was? :confused:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At least i'm not the only one.

Well brought the car into the service today - didn't have time to fix it but they said they will add oil to the clutch to see if it will go away.

Will let you guys know next week when the car goes in for service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2003 S.

It only happens when I get rolling in first gear and am depressing the clutch.

I took it into the shop. They replaced the flywheel and it didnt help. Then they replaced the entire clutch and it went away for about a month. Its back now. The weird thing is it doesnt happen all the time. Even the mechanics told me they couldnt get it to happen all the time. They told me they took out a bunch of 2003 S's and the sound occured on 4 out of the 9 cars they tested. They chalked it up to it being a "Mini sound". Car drives perfectly though.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it's been a week they have advised that it's the gear box - basically they need to take the whole gearbox out and re-oil it. So without a car for another week.

Base on this could it be the gear box instead of the clutch that's causing all our problems?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts