MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.
New here. Got a MCS 02, with 50,000 miles about six weeks ago. Coolest car I've driven in a long time!
But... Got a problem. In the past couple of weeks, when pulling off in first gear, I get a lound noise that sounds like a chair being dragged on linoleum... Or sort of like opening a door in need of oil on the hinges... Actually, it sounds a lot like Chewbacca! From Star Wars!
It lasts only a few seconds, stops when the clutch is fully released, and it doesn't happen all the time, but its loud!
Once I'm past that, the car runs smoothly. No problem at any other point in any other gear. Although it happens randomly during the day, I think it happens a little more when the car is cold.
Any ideas? Is my clutch failing? Or, hopefully, its something cheaper? :):confused:

Thanks!

·
Noob
247 Posts
Hey guys.
New here. Got a MCS 02, with 50,000 miles about six weeks ago. Coolest car I've driven in a long time!
But... Got a problem. In the past couple of weeks, when pulling off in first gear, I get a lound noise that sounds like a chair being dragged on linoleum... Or sort of like opening a door in need of oil on the hinges... Actually, it sounds a lot like Chewbacca! From Star Wars!
It lasts only a few seconds, stops when the clutch is fully released, and it doesn't happen all the time, but its loud!
Once I'm past that, the car runs smoothly. No problem at any other point in any other gear. Although it happens randomly during the day, I think it happens a little more when the car is cold.
Any ideas? Is my clutch failing? Or, hopefully, its something cheaper? :):confused:

Thanks!
Mine does the same when it's cold. I hope it's nothing serious.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds like a flywheel/clutch problem. BMW know about this fault and its been talked about alot here on the forums. My MCS had this fault and mine was worse if the weather was cold and damp. Sounded like one of those 'cow in a box' toys from way back. Yeh, I'm old.

Do you have a Mini cherished warranty? It is covered under that and they will fit with new parts.

Saying that, my clutch and flywheel were replaced and it then started again. Even when it wasn't cold. Now its back with the dealer for a new gearbox too... :eek:

·
BlueMax
179 Posts
Many posts on this subject, here and on NAM. I have decided to live with it unless it gets much worse. No clutch slip so mechanically it is working fine. Even if still under warranty it is a huge job to do a clutch replacement on the Mini - which may just disturb other items which are working well and are best left alone. There has not been a modification to the flywheel and clutch that I know of so the chances of the squeal returning is high - it seems to be totally unrelated to high milage or pre- or post facelifted cars. Momentarily irritating but that seems to be it!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey guys.

Thanks!

I has that exact problem with my 02 MCS. It was still under used warranty, so took it back. New clutch and flywheel cost £1096 :aargh: Thank goodness for the warranty :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I feel better knowing its not just me... And even better knowing my car is not exactly falling apart, which is what it felt like the first time I heard it. I do have an extended warranty, so, since i the clutch is fine indeed, they can't give me bull about clutches not being covered. I might make use of it, and see if I can get it looked at. But, Bluemax, you do have a point. They have to take the whole damm thing apart to get to the clutch, so if its not hurting anything, it might be better not to mess with the rest. Everything else is so... DAMM COOL! :) About this car. I have noticed that it happens a lot more when I rev up before releasing the clutch. If I am easy on the gas, Chewbacca does not happen.
Thanks guys!

·
Noob
247 Posts
Well, I feel better knowing its not just me... And even better knowing my car is not exactly falling apart, which is what it felt like the first time I heard it. I do have an extended warranty, so, since i the clutch is fine indeed, they can't give me bull about clutches not being covered. I might make use of it, and see if I can get it looked at. But, Bluemax, you do have a point. They have to take the whole damm thing apart to get to the clutch, so if its not hurting anything, it might be better not to mess with the rest. Everything else is so... DAMM COOL! :) About this car. I have noticed that it happens a lot more when I rev up before releasing the clutch. If I am easy on the gas, Chewbacca does not happen.
Thanks guys!
Hmmm. Chewy shows up on mine no matter how I launch, as long as it's cold. It's only for the first few stop and starts however, and obviously on SOME mornings only.

Perhaps Mini hates Mondays as much as I do?

·
BlueMax
179 Posts
The problem with this fault is that if you have it fixed, knowing there is no permanent solution yet, you will forever be listening out for the return of Chewy!! So better to get used to it and live with it. :D

·
Noob
247 Posts
The problem with this fault is that if you have it fixed, knowing there is no permanent solution yet, you will forever be listening out for the return of Chewy!! So better to get used to it and live with it. :D
Good point. I will learn to live with it. Either that, or make an extra large effort to have the engine running for much longer before I actually take off.

Thanks!

·
BlueMax
179 Posts
Just drive it! Letting the engine idle for a prolonged period when cold is not good on the engine and just wastes fuel. Rather turn up the stereo for a while

·
Noob
247 Posts
Just drive it! Letting the engine idle for a prolonged period when cold is not good on the engine.
Really?! That's the first time I've heard that before. I've always thought that the engine is best to warm up in idle.

I also own a Mitsubishi FTO and the Mivec isn't even activated unless the engine is properly warm. There is a cut-off after 5000 rpm where it usually screams to 8000 rpm. I know it's not the same thing, but I thought as a general rule, the warming up before leaving was always good.

Hmmm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh well... Since I pretty much know when the noise will happen,. I'll make sure to raise the music really loud right before... For he, who hears nothing, fears nothing... :D And then go on my way, enjoying the car. If there was a fix, I'd go for it.... But for something that may, or may not work... Putting the car though all that taking apart - putting together.... Seems counterproductive in the long run... PLus, the noise does not, from all the posts I've read, appear to be harming anything in the engine/clutch system, right? Its just annoying.

·
BlueMax
179 Posts
In terms of warm up - obviously we are talking about taking it gently until normal operating temperatures have been reached. Some cars have a protection that prevents operating high in the rev range until engine is at normal operating temp and usually the cut-off is set around 5000 rpm. It is quite possible with our Mini's to stay well below 4000 and even 3500 rpm until warmed up. You will do damage if you wring it before it has been warmed up. Look at your owner's manual, if I am not mistaken it states that it is better to drive off immediately (but gently) - will have a look again. Someone once jokingly said the only way to drive is to take the engine up to max rpm and change gears to regulate the speed! - if you use this to warm up the engine you sure will not be driving long.
Earthbelow - I have done many searches on the clutch squeal problem, it even seems to affect the gen 2's. Some people even said that at some stage the noise disappeared without returning and it seems conclusive that it is not harming anything and will not progress to catastrophic failure. It seems to be related to the dual mass flywheel clutch setup used - some people think it is glazing on the flywheel face, others speculate it is the dual mass flywheel itself - the flywheel not being solid but consisting of two parts can also have miniscule 'slip' between the two parts but it does not affect clutch engagement or drivability. At the moment the only permament fix seems to be aftermarket clutches with single piece lightweight flywheels but this causes revs to drop rapidly between gear changes and gear rattle because the damping effect of the dual mass flywheel has been removed. Some like the quicker spool-up with lightweight flywheels but as with most things there are then compromises. Hope this helps - for me, my 04 JCW MCS has done only 34000km and Chewy has been a companion for at least 2 years, sound has not been getting worse so I will leave it alone. There are other reported clutch problems with different noises (eg coming from the throw-out / release bearing) and also clutch judder or the pedal going to the floor which is related to hydraulic failure, most common being the clutch slave cyclinder. Sorry - this got a bit long!

·
Noob
247 Posts
PLus, the noise does not, from all the posts I've read, appear to be harming anything in the engine/clutch system, right? Its just annoying.
I'm really not sure about that. I will be taking mine for a full service within the next couple of months, and I have a strong feeling they will say that I will need to replace the clutch. The noise MUST have something to do with the wearing of the clutch yeah?

·
Is over to the dark side
515 Posts
It's probably not the same noise but i had something similar when moving off in 1st gear, but specifically when turning. A whirring noise as the wheel was turning and i presumed it might be from a pump.

The dealer advised that in older MCS, although mine is 05, the gearbox fluid did cause NOISES during movement so they replaced it with the suggeted fix.

Said it can take up to 150 miles to resolve so we'll see,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I've figured out, definitely, that if I don't rev up too much when releasing the clutch in first, the noise does not happen. But it sucks to be so "aware" of my clutch release in first gear, so as not to hear the damm noise. Takes a little from the driving pleasure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm really not sure about that. I will be taking mine for a full service within the next couple of months, and I have a strong feeling they will say that I will need to replace the clutch. The noise MUST have something to do with the wearing of the clutch yeah?
Let me know what they tell you. I'm going in to have a short shift installed, and I'll do some more asking, but, in the world of car repairs, I'm always a little weary of what I am told, as for all shops, car fixing=good business....:D:confused:

·
BlueMax
179 Posts
Coming back to the issue of warming the engine at idle. In my owner's handbook p39 under the heading "Starting the engine" there is this note "Do not allow the engine to warm up at a standstill but drive off as soon as possible using moderate engine speeds". This is common practice with modern engines. Cheers

·
Noob
247 Posts
Let me know what they tell you. I'm going in to have a short shift installed, and I'll do some more asking, but, in the world of car repairs, I'm always a little weary of what I am told, as for all shops, car fixing=good business....:D:confused:
No worries. Will let you know if I find out more.

Coming back to the issue of warming the engine at idle. In my owner's handbook p39 under the heading "Starting the engine" there is this note "Do not allow the engine to warm up at a standstill but drive off as soon as possible using moderate engine speeds". This is common practice with modern engines. Cheers
Ahh. That's good to know. Very strange concept really, but still good to know. Thanks mate.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts