MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
enjoying it fully
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hallo!

whilst cleanin me DS/W MCS i popped th bonnet to fill up the washer fluid and noticed a brown oil leak on the drivers side frame, on closer inspection it appears to be eminating from the silver unit which acts as a shock absorber for the engine ( its the engine mount on the drivers side,

im curious if this is an air oil shock or a coilspring shock and if its serious enough to warrant a trip to the dealer?? the car has only got 4200 miles on it since birth on the 5th july this year.

cheers for any help

leigh :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Wow.

I am at my dealer as I write this post for the EXACT SAME PROBLEM.

I had a pulley installed and the SA mentioned that it could be from that but I think that it might be a problem more common than most people realize!

Anyways, I will let you know what happens. The head tech here had looked at it about two weeks ago and said that they should replace the engine mount.

FYI I have about 16500 miles on my '04 MCS.
 

·
a.k.a Handsome Rob
Joined
·
2,955 Posts
I was told this is preservation oil from shipping. I had it looked at twice,
Tavis1 :red:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
tavis1 said:
I was told this is preservation oil from shipping. I had it looked at twice,
Tavis1 :red:
That's a load of baloney.

My dealer (PrestigeMini.com) replaced the broken engine mount and the work was covered under warranty.

I don't have pics right now as I am awaiting my friend to send them to me (his camera) but I will post them as soon as they come in. The old part was leaking and the description of service read something along the lines of "Engine mount seal broken, custome complained of oil leaking"

I repeat the work was covered under warranty!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Pics!

Ok I finally got pics of the leaking engine mount.

Please print them out and bring them to your dealer as they obviously show a defect in the engine mount that should be covered by the warranty.

Sorry for the fuzzy pictures - but you get the idea!
 

Attachments

·
M5 Extraordinare!
Joined
·
6,796 Posts
Oh where is this engine mount? I have to check mine now! you guys got me worried.. I've noticed some brown oil stuff on the frame before and like Tavis said I thought it was just excess grease from shipping. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Engine mount is on the LEFT side of my car if you are looking at the hood. Since I'm in the US, that would be the PASSENGER side.

If you have a Cooper or earlier MCS, then it may look different (black rubber instead of metal).
 

·
The Mini In ME
Joined
·
130 Posts
Leaky Engine Mount

The above mentioned item is, in fact as stated, the engine mount. Mine seemed to just 'seep' a little last August when I picked up the car. Never really leaked but eventually the frame had brown fluid on it. Not much and I never saw a stream or even pools of liquid.

I had it replaced under warranty in January for the 10,000 mile check up. Never noticed any handling problems. MOP did not consider it a safety issue when I paid for an oil change at 5,000 miles, so they ordered the part and had it ready at the 10,000. It took about 30 minutes to install.

End
 

·
M5 Extraordinare!
Joined
·
6,796 Posts
Ok I checked mine... it looks ok... I dont see any oil leak comming directly from it. but if you notice in my pics you'll see like oil to the left of it where the electric blue body panal is.


Also what is that thing that looks cracked? The last pic.. it looks like its right on top of the passenger wheel. To adjust the shocks? Should I be concerned its cracked?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Your oily deposits look pretty normal. Mine was a big POOL of oil that was flowing all over the damn place.


I see that you have the rubber style mount (maybe the metal ones are the ones that are defective).

Also, I think you should e-mail your SA the pic about the crack. If you are still under warranty, it should be replaced with no questions asked.
 

·
M5 Extraordinare!
Joined
·
6,796 Posts
LordOfTheFlies said:
Your oily deposits look pretty normal. Mine was a big POOL of oil that was flowing all over the damn place.


I see that you have the rubber style mount (maybe the metal ones are the ones that are defective).

Also, I think you should e-mail you SA the pic about the crack. If you are still under warranty, it should be replaced with no questions asked.
Cool thats re-assuring... thanks

Ya I'm still under warranty. I should get it checked out what that crack is. But my rubber mount will deteriorate sooner than metal ones... :(
 

·
www.totalmini*****
Joined
·
15,256 Posts
My Jun 02 MCS has rubber mounts and I'm getting it looked at today, reckon one of them's gone. Engine rocks all over the place.
 

·
M5 Extraordinare!
Joined
·
6,796 Posts
ButtonIt said:
My Jun 02 MCS has rubber mounts and I'm getting it looked at today, reckon one of them's gone. Engine rocks all over the place.
What do you mean it rocks all over the place? how does it feel?
 

·
www.totalmini*****
Joined
·
15,256 Posts
Lift off the accelerator and you can feel the engine rock, same when changing gear. There's the first rock as the change in gear or torque affects the engine, then a series of smaller "knocks". I remember the feeling from my old classic mini when the mounts went on that.
 

·
M5 Extraordinare!
Joined
·
6,796 Posts
ButtonIt said:
Lift off the accelerator and you can feel the engine rock, same when changing gear. There's the first rock as the change in gear or torque affects the engine, then a series of smaller "knocks". I remember the feeling from my old classic mini when the mounts went on that.
Ah IC thanks for explaining that. I know as for now I dont feel that but man that rubber one I dont have much confidence in it'll deteriorate faster than metal like I said and its going to costa hefty penny to replace in a few years...
 

·
Closing door on MINI2
Joined
·
556 Posts
Mines started leaking today!

I was doing safety checks with a learner today and noticed the same fault you guys have had. I wiped the oil with a cloth and finished the lesson. When I got home I checked it again and more oil had appeared. I phoned my local dealer at 4.30pm and explained and went over so they could have a look.

After about 50 minutes they returned the car to me and told me it was residue oil from my 25k inpection last month. When I asked for a bit more info they said it can take a long time for it to spill through and that I would have to keep wiping it up until it had all eventually disappeared! As the dealership was just closing I left and have come straight onto this forum.

Does this answer seem plausible or is it a load of closing time bull? Any advice welcome. Also did any of you notice your oil levels drop as a result of the fault.

Pic attached. Oh, and its the metal part not the plastic.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Yeoda said:
I was doing safety checks with a learner today and noticed the same fault you guys have had. I wiped the oil with a cloth and finished the lesson. When I got home I checked it again and more oil had appeared. I phoned my local dealer at 4.30pm and explained and went over so they could have a look.

After about 50 minutes they returned the car to me and told me it was residue oil from my 25k inpection last month. When I asked for a bit more info they said it can take a long time for it to spill through and that I would have to keep wiping it up until it had all eventually disappeared! As the dealership was just closing I left and have come straight onto this forum.

Does this answer seem plausible or is it a load of closing time bull? Any advice welcome. Also did any of you notice your oil levels drop as a result of the fault.

Pic attached. Oh, and its the metal part not the plastic.

Sounds like a crock of bull to me.

Print out this forum, e-mail them the link.

Let them know that this has happened to several other people, all of whom have had it repaired under warranty. Btw, I have only had one service appointment thus far. No need to check for oil levels since there are no tubes that feed that area of the engine bay! Ask them where it's coming from! The reason, as stated above, is a faulty engine mount seal.

They should replace it.
 

·
Closing door on MINI2
Joined
·
556 Posts
Update

Took the car back in to the dealer who had it for approx3 hrs. They agreed that it was in fact the engine mount leaking! Only problem is no parts available in the UK so having to get it shipped over so another 10 days wait before it's fixed.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top