MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone tell me what the strange little sensor on top of the dashboard does. My dealer doesnt know what it is and neither do the service dept. It is built into the small cap that sits right in the middle of the dash just under the windscreen. It looks like an LED from a distance but when you get up close it is not, its more like a sensor of some sort. I have the alarm so maybe its to do with that.

Please can anyone shed any light on this?????????

Thanks.

By the way this car is fantastic, only picked it up yesterday and im in love.( It does slightly pull to the left but i will wait for a fix.)

Red/White,Red Int,Chilli pack,Climate Control,Alarm,ASC, Cd Player and TLC.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Ob1 said:
. . . . Could anyone tell me what the strange little sensor on top of the dashboard does? . . .
I`m most probably wrong, but could it have anything to do with the climate control system?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes, it is part of the climate control system. What it does I am not sure.

Cheers

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Garry said:
Yes, it is part of the climate control system. What it does I am not sure.

Cheers
I'm guessing it is the temp sensor to tell the climate control whether to heat up or cool down based upon what temp you've told the system's thermostat you'd like it to be all the time.

My wife's Nissan with climate control has it's sensor mounted on the dashboard just like that -- I would have thought sitting where it could be in direct sunlight would give bad readings, but that is apparently the way these things are done. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the manual under the climate control section it says that the sensor is built into the climite control unit itself (bottom righthand corner). Because of this i wasn't sure what the one on the dash was for.

Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It is linked to the Climate control and is placed there
to take into account the heat from the sun (apparently we see that in summer);) and I would imagine this then helps
control the Aircon.

Something like that anyway:D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Graham,

That is correct I have the same set up on my VW Passat. It does sense the intensity of the sun and then adjusts the aircon to suit.

On a hot sunny summer day (stop laughing), try covering the sensor with a dark cloth. The aircon should adjust for the 'sun' disappearing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts