MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm skating on thin ice with this one because I know it's illegal and MINI2.com won't want to be seen to be condoning illegal and/or irresponsible behaviour, BUT :D how many MINI owners have engaged in the old traffic light grands prix, or maybe a bit of Mid-town madness? If so, how did you get on?

I had a bit of a battle with a Mk2 MR2 last night, and on the straight I was left for dead (mind you being limited to 4,500 rpm slowed me up a bit!), but on the r-abouts in the wet the MINI's grip was awesome and on both r-abouts we encountered in our mile long 'race' I passed him under braking and blew him off the road for cornering velocity, and the both of us pasted an Opel Manta that got in the way...... VERY satisfying indeed!

Disclaimer: Kids, racing on the public highway is illegal, so don't do it!!! (but do it safely if you do!).

P.S. If you were driving that green MR2 in Harlow last night - SEE YOU LATER ALLIGATOR! :p

·
Registered
105 Posts
TUT TUT

Tut tut.
Good fun though.

4+000rpm, I take it you are running it in a bit at present!

Where about’s in Harlow was it, going up towards the M11, or Edinburgh Way?

When I worked in Harlow, I saw some people do some obscene things (speedwise) along those roads, there’s one place where the camber is all over the place, and just throw’s you offline without warning.

Still, drive safe.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Toward the M11 starting at the bottom of Edinburgh Way...and yes, the camber approaching some of Harlow's chicanes..I mean rounabouts can be real tricky - worth a grin when you get it right tho.

And ASC+T is amazing for wet weather full bore get-aways. Very satisfying to just mash the loud pedal and let the computer do the rest.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Eat your heart out FAST & THE FURIOUS :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Grrr, I so don't want to be the downer in this thread, but I gotta say something. Racing on the street is dumb. Track-time is cheap. No one gets ticketed, or worse, killed. Sorry to bring down the room. :(

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
Didn't want to be first to say it BUT - THeres got to bit a least a couple of us on this board with kids - Yes we've all been there but 15 years ago I didn't have access to cheap well run track and test days -

Get off the streets and onto the track if you think your any good - you'll have more fun and hopefully everyone will live longer

Here endeth the sermon !

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sorry people but I agree with Racer. I have worked as a nurse in a casualty dept and on at least one occassion have had to clear up the mess that boy racers have left behind on the street. It is not always those racing that are hurt either. I have a friend in Sheffield who has been left with a damaged hip and one child with brain damage after their car was hit by a prat showing off. By all means have fun with the MINI, that is what it is designed for. But there is a time and place for everything. Time to grow up I think.

cheers
Marsh

·
Registered
353 Posts
Kinda off topic

Where can you track race then - preferably in the Lincolnshire area and how much is it? I want to push my MX-5 to the limit before I have to sell her!:p :p :p

·
Registered
149 Posts
Track Days

Buy a copy of Autocar and look-up the Track day section - they list all the events in the next few weeks, who is organising them and where.

The car doesn't need any special prep and often you can get tuition.

Street Racing is just plain dumb - if you want a real buzz get on a track. After that the road will just be a way to get you to the track!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Will I need track day insurance or a helmet or anything like that cause its a soft top?

Probibly a silly question but I haven't the first clue about all this.

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
You normally find that most decent insurance policies are extendable for a modest amount - I had one policy which included cover for 4 track days per year for free

Helmets are normally mandatory as is sound check

SOund level varies according to venue

·
Registered
261 Posts
It makes me happy that, by in-large, we are all more concerned with public safety, rather than possibly putting to risk the safety of others, albeit at the expense of our reflex to stomp-out certain CIVICS, and such. :D

·
Registered
272 Posts
ye have to agree as well, racing on the track is how it should be dun, and racing on the streets is dangerous- but i don't some of u like the idea of fast and furious, ronin or some of jackie chans movies (alas "who am i" with the evolution iv) :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Not mandatory...

minicoopersgirl said:
Not sure about over there, but here in the States I know you have to have a Helmet, long sleeve shirt, and pants to drive at a track event. :)
I think the girls get a discount at Snetterton if they opt out of the pants.:D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Redhotmini said:
ye have to agree as well, racing on the track is how it should be dun, and racing on the streets is dangerous- but i don't some of u like the idea of fast and furious, ronin or some of jackie chans movies (alas "who am i" with the evolution iv) :)
Alas, I do respect stunts like that, especially when they are done well, in the movies. I think the stunts I've performed on the street in the past were really cool when they were happening, but later when my friends were getting their licenses taken and mashing their cars into each other, It was no fun anymore. A friend of mine and I took my old Audi out into a Deserted parking lot this weekend and perfomed some very "Ronin" type stunts in the snow. Crazy, yes, but we knew the risks, and we were the only ones who could get hurt. The street, any street where other cars and people may be, is no place to horse around.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I have to agree that racing on the streets can be dodgy, especially if you think you are a good driver but havnt really had proper tuition.

I used to do lots of track days in the elise and they are fun, legal and fast.
Helmets are compulsory and you can get some real cheap one day insurance, If you want let me know and I can give you details.

There are roads though where you can have fun without having to go too fast, I normally drive home through Docklands in London and there is a great road with roundabouts parallel to the city airport where u can have fun but at sensible speeds!

If you are really serious, get some proper tuition, we all think that we are great drivers but I learnt so much up at Hethel.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts