MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,i am planning to order my mini one shortly.I like the thick silver stripes Alexone has on his in his pic gallery.I know these are viper stripes what i want to knoe is if these stripes are just available on the bonnet.As all the other bonnet strips i have seen are a lot narower and spaced further apart.I am going for a test drive on thusday,i cant wait.People i know who have minis have told me the steering is much heavier,why is this as its power steering?Does anyone else find this?The car i drive is very very light on the steering,thats why i am a bit concerned as i am used to it.Anyway would appreciate your advice,thanks

·
Joy!
1,333 Posts
heavy steering? Not sure where u got told that, but compared to most cars ive driven, the steering is spot on. Not at all heavy.

The stripes...dealers as standard, are the thin bonnet stripes. You could get an external company to make you some silver thicker stripes and get the dealer, or a local graphics company to fit them for you (or if ur brave, fit them yourself).

Good luck with ur order. Im sure u will love every minute.

·
2003 PS MCS
137 Posts
amandachannon said:
People i know who have minis have told me the steering is much heavier,why is this as its power steering?Does anyone else find this?The car i drive is very very light on the steering,thats why i am a bit concerned as i am used to it.Anyway would appreciate your advice,thanks
The steering is a bit heavy, but also more responsive than most vechicles. You'll have no problem adapting, and will never want to go back :)

J\

·
owt else is just traffic
1,462 Posts
personally i don't find the steering particularly heavy ,the official MINI 17" wheels will give heavier steering,but there are lighter 17" aftermarket wheels out there .I have the 17" s spokes on at the moment but i also have a set of the 15" rocket alloys and there is a definate change in the steering feel between these wheels.The car feels lighter and more nimble with the 15's on(personally i sacrifice some ride quality for the look of the 17" wheels) .Even with the bigger wheel /tyre combination it isn't as heavy as you are probably imagining.I used to have a classic mini on the 13" wheels and you needed to be popeye to turn the wheel on that!!.
At least having a bit of weight to the steering you feel more a part of the car instead of feeling detached from it like when the steering is too light.A test drive will rid you of your worries and you'll wonder what the fuss was about,good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the heaviness just the difference between power assisted steering and fulll power steering? All the cars I've had, with the exception of 9 months of a Malibu that was previously my mothers, have been pretty heavy-feeling, and it's definitely preferable on my part.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Pull out in a mini.

While you're still in 1st or 2nd, and you have your hands at 3 and 9 o'clock on the wheel:

JERK THE WHEEL LEFT AND RIGHT AS FAST AS YOU CAN!

This is called "The NASCAR Weave."

It warms up your tires for max adhesion.

Trust me.

Any questions?

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
Pru said:
Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the heaviness just the difference between power assisted steering and fulll power steering? All the cars I've had, with the exception of 9 months of a Malibu that was previously my mothers, have been pretty heavy-feeling, and it's definitely preferable on my part.
What is available in automobiles is all power assisted steering. The manufacturers can play with the "feel" of the steering by controlling the amount of assist that they design into the system.

Some of the older GM cars had very light steering and offered no feedback from the tires, giving a vague feel to the steering. You had no idea what was happening between the tire and the road. Not what you would want for preformance driving. The MINI nailed it just right. Plenty of feed back, but not tiring at all. No problem with low speed manuvers, such as parallel parking, either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts