MINI Cooper Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Nil Time et Facte Recte
80 Posts
+1 to what Ruth said!

I had the M7 Strut Brace and Under Strut system fitted about two months ago - and apart from making the car "drive a lot tighter", and point into corners more accurately, it also improves the ride, it seems. I guess that since the suspension is not having to fight so much chassis flex, that it is able to cope with bumps and holes in the road surface to a much better degree.

I took my car up a twisty road in NE Victoria that I had only previously done on my motorcycle...and the difference in handling to the standard cabrio was very marked.

The strut brace is well worth it. As Ruth said, get the best one that you can afford, and you shall not regret it.

Cheers,

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,153 Posts
Also, is the rear one (in the boot) removable? I'm just thinking in case I need to put the back seats down for suitcases etc.
Ben,

The GTT boot brace isn't compatible with the cabrio :(

Tigger.

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,153 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thanks for all your help people...I have posted a reply on Roland's thread, let's see if I can get the whole lot done at once! I really appreciate your help :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
By the way, does anyone know what MINI finance think about mods such as strut braces? My car is leased so I'm not sure what I can do to it without upsetting them...Also, do you need to inform your motor insurer? It's not like an engine tune or anything, so I don't see how it affects your risk as a driver. If anything, it seems like it would reduce the risk on the road as handling is improved!

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Yes you'll need to inform your insurer as its a modification to your vehicles standard specification. Also because in the event of a front collision (god forbid) involving your MINI, the strut brace could theoretically cause more damage to your car. For instance, if one side of the car was struck, the strut brace would channel the impact and could damage the other side also.

With regard to MINI finance, this should not be affected. Providing the mods can be removed before resale or trade in, and are in no way detrimental to the value of the vehicle, I see no problem there.

·
Registered
369 Posts
So, I spoke to my insurance company, they wanted an extra £39 (she couldn't find strut braces specifically so she added it as a suspension mod) which was fine.

I also spoke to MINI Finance, and the guy didn't know anything about strut braces, but basically said that any modification is not taken into account if you decide to trade your car in at the end of the agreement. I'm happy with that because I'm intending to buy the car at the end anyway, and if not I can always get the strut braces removed/transferred to a new MINI if I decide to trade up. The guy I spoke to said he was going to transfer me to someone else who knew more about it, but I seemed to have got lost in their phone system as I was on hold for over 10 mins (and a phone pick up and hang up immediately). I phoned back, spoke to someone else and asked them to give the guy I spoke to originally my number to call me back. Never heard back from them! Not very good customer service :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hey...I had the strut braces done today :D Roland did a great job! It really feels very different to drive...The steering feels 'heavier' and tighter. Going over bumps in the road no longer scares me (it used to, I went over a pothole yesterday and I thought the wheel was going to fall off!). Look out for (possibly me and) my MINI in the one of the forthcoming Modern MINI mags!! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I fitted a JCW upper and notice it in cornering...much more responsive keeping the front end more rigid. And with the JCW model being made exclusive for the Mini there is no clearance issues.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts