MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a new (08) Cooper. Does anybody think getting a JCW strut brace would do much to the handling of a Cooper?

Also, do you think it would help stop so many rattles in the interior of the car?

Any thought would be greatly received,

·
Registered
52 Posts
I dont think it would alter handling that much,it would just stiffen up the chasis. I think they can make turning into corners a bit sharper/quicker but it probably wouldnt be that noticeable

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh ok, but does anyone have any thoughts on it firming up the car and therefore help to stop the interior rattling so much??

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,153 Posts
Firming things up will only make rattles worse :p
Firming the suspension up makes things worse, firming the body up makes it better.

Yes, bracing the body will help to prevent twist and that kills rattles. I run a late R53 Cooper S with 4 substantial additional braces and, even with 22,000 miles, it's almost completely rattle and squeak free! :)

The only problem is that the JCW item is little more than cosmetic (it's far too flimsy) and is very unlikely to achieve anything (though it's very shiny when you open the bonnet!). I'm not yet aware of an aftermarket version for the R56 that actually works. Save your money for the moment and wait for the aftermarket to make a real one!

Tigger.

PS: This is how substantial a brace needs to be to have any affect:

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts

PS: This is how substantial a brace needs to be to have any affect:
Now that's what I call a strut brace (the JCW one looked so flimsy in the brochure I considered rolling up the brochure would be more effective). Who manufactured it? I feel the need to make a phone call asking for an R56 version.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its a STRUT

The clue is in the title its a strut bar which means it is in tension, so the JCW will be fine....if it neede to take compression it would be a different matter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts