MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 08 S has a snapped strut apparently, according to firestone. Went to get an alignment. I bought a new strut today, and a spring clamp(s). Does anyone have a tutorial on how to replace my left front strut? The only thing people seem to post is about replacing the mount.. Help mmeeeeeeeee.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
TBH, if you have to ask then you really shouldn't be doing it. It's only a few bolts.

This is for a gen1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmEO66fEHZs

The biggest difference with the gen2 is the strut bolt has a nut on the end (gen1 in video is just a bolt which threads into the hub - which is the worst design EVER).

And if I were you, I'd be replacing both fronts.
And I'd be using new struts.

*edit, I'm guessing you have a gen2, an '08 could be either.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Very dangerous if you do not have the proper strut spring tool.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Mini springs aren't too bad tbh but if you have to ask the question I'd seriously be worried about the competence level of the repair. A snapped strut?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
ok..

ok here we go.

The first thing to do would be to pull the wheel off a jack and jack stands are essential.

The second thing to do is get all your tools ready there is nothing more annoying than having to run backwards and forwards to get tools in the middle of the job...

third thing would be to asses what parts you need to take of so that the strut will come out.

fourth thing would be to loosen the inner mud guards they are held in with plastic phillips head poppers

fifth thing would be to unclip the brake line from the strut

sixth thing detach drop link arms from the strut

seventh thing use a breaker bar to release the strut mounting bolt

eighth thing turn the wheels to aid in the removal of the strut

ninth thing remove the upper mounting nuts there should be three.

tenth thing would be to push down on the top of the brake disk to lower the track control arm and with a wiggle and a bit of rubbed skin it should come out..

WARNING spring compressors are dangerous make sure you have secured them properly on the spring coz if they aren't and the compressors slip while under tension you could injure and or kill yourself or someone else..

Hope this helps::smile::

1 - 6 of 6 Posts