MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all hope everyone is good.

Just need a bit of advice please. So I decided I would do a service on my 2003 mini Cooper as am pretty mechanical minded. However I did the oil change the wrong way round. I first drained the oil after fighting the get the drain nut off, way over tight. Then I went to get the oil filter off but it will not budge. I have to use the car so put the new oil in. If I manage to get it off with a breaker bar, will I have to discard the new oil I just put in? Or can I drain it and put it back in? Do I actually have to drain the oil the change the filter, I know some will come out when changing.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Keep safe and thanks

·
cristo
2,818 Posts
Yes, use a breaker bar, and some
patience. Try it cold, try it warming up,
try it cooling down. It will eventually
budge a little, then it will be easy.
If you recently changed the oil,
you can just change the filter now.
You don’t need to drain the oil again.
Not optimum, since whatever was in
the filter is now mixed in with the new
oil, but not enough to lose any sleep
over.
Use a new O-ring on the filter housing,
and a little oil on the ring and threads,
and don’t over tighten it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There is no way of getting every bit of old oil out when doing an oil change, so there is always a little bit of old mixed in with the new.
Not been able to renew the oil filter at the same time is not the end of the world, just more old oil left in to mix with the new.
Filter needs replacing as they can degrade over time and stop doing there job.
Just renew the filter, no need to drain again - just top up with newr.
Maybe do the next oil & filter change a little sooner than normal.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments. Got a new O ring with the filter so definitely will replace it.

I only just bought the car, it wasn't looked after very well and is showing as 2500 mile over due for its service, which is why am doing the bits. Been lots wrong with it but a good car to mess around with and fix stuff on. Definitely runs better now the oil and most of the filters have been changed. I did read that if the oil isn't changed regularly it can seize up the housing so hopefully I can get it off without to much issue.

You any idea what it's like to change the whole housing for the oil filer if I can't get it off, big job?

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not changed one myself but i'm going to have to replace the housing seal to engine on my wifes soon as weeping oil slightly.
Looks like x3 13mm head bolts holding it on, top bolt looks like it could be difficult to get too.
Not sure if you can get to all bolts from the top with heat shield above starter motor loosened off and pushed out the way.
Expect the worse and hopefully its not that bad of a job - plenty of secondhand ones on ebay if you require a new one.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mine was stuck on too and almost felt like it was going to snap the plastic housing off but it eventually give.
Only needs to be nipped up as the rubber O ring does the sealing not how tight it's clamped.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Just need a bit of advice please. So I decided I would do a service on my 2003 mini Cooper as am pretty mechanical minded. However I did the oil change the wrong way round. I first drained the oil after fighting the get the drain nut off, way over tight. Then I went to get the oil filter off but it will not budge. I have to use the car so put the new oil in. If I manage to get it off with a breaker bar, will I have to discard the new oil I just put in? Or can I drain it and put it back in? Do I actually have to drain the oil the change the filter, I know some will come out when changing.

Keep safe and thanks
🤯🤣Good luck! I have 2005 Mini Cooper conv. 1.6L. Purchase yourself a used filter from a junk yard or salvage yard. If you couldn’t open yours as I couldn’t mine? No problem, the oil will come out just a bit just have a pan to capture the small amount that leaks. My filter my tech had to cut it out carefully, that’s why gave another one available. I mean we tried everything. Who ever placed the filter before, must have put it on with machine or forced the heck out of it with a tool! Of course my filter it’s up on the rear left top part of the engine. Regardless have a pan or something to gather the spilled amount! Good blessings.👌

·
Registered
4 Posts

Keep safe and thanks
Oh! I forgot to tell you, my Tech had to remove a couple of items from beneath the engine to get to the cutting the filt cap off, cause it was safer, cause there’s no room for any cutter to fit in there, do he removed a couple of beneath parts to undo the filter tubing and then he cut the cap off. Man! Once it’s stuck? Forget it, it’s got to be cut off! RC.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys, I gave up trying to get it off and got a second hand housing. Took a while to get off and back on but done. Cheers for the advice

1 - 9 of 9 Posts