MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people

Has anyone got any ideas of how I can fit a sub into my mini cooper taking up a minimum of space.

I want everything to look standard.

I thought about using the space where the spare wheel is meant to go. Has anyone else done this???

Have you got any pics??

I would appreciate any ideas and tips!!!

Cheers ;) :D

·
MINI2 Something or Other
307 Posts
The Clarion SRV303 powered subwoofer will just barely fit under one of the front seats. Other than myself, I know Scooterboy also put one under his passenger seat. It does require that you cut a hole in the carpet for the speaker, but that's not visible when the seat is in place.

Tip: Save the carpet piece you remove in case you want to "undo" your install later and use some silicone glue to put the piece back.

If you keep the stock head unit, you'll need a good 2-channel line output converter since the sub needs a line level input.

Scooterboy created a Web site that details his install and includes pictures.

·
Another Happy Owner
204 Posts
JL audio
they have these custom sized boxes called "stealth box".
the mini one fits a 10".

if you do a google search, ive seen them installed in the minis.

also, whats cool is that the designed the box so you can still access the latch to push the rear seat down from your trunk. take a look. it would be my #1 oiption.

-jay

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nice one.

Yeah I have seen them custom sized sub boxs.

Do you know where i could get a plan of how to make my own box, because they are £140!!!
I have spent all my money on the car. haha

I have already fitted a new HU.

I was going to keep standard speakers and just add a sub.

cheers guys

·
brown is back
4,278 Posts
minilka said:
has anyone else got any other ideas

cheers
If you're looking to do it cheap and DIY, just head out to the car with some cardboard / posterboard and make some templates, with the volume required by your sub in mind. Then, use the templates to make a box out of MDF.

At least, I think that's how you'd do it. I've never built my own sub box.

·
So close I can almost....
82 Posts
My sub box cost about £10 to make. The faux suede cost £35 cuz I had to buy a minimum amount. Sub itself will cost £50-£80 for a reasonable 12" jobbie then you'll need an amp £150 for an average 250watt RMS and then a decent Amp wiring kit will set you back about £35 (don't scrimp here) say by Autoleads. This gives you a large rated power lead and earth lead with a very nice inline fuse holder and some Quality RCA sheilded leads. For a boot install you'll need 5m cables. like this

Here's my enclosure before I coated it in suede, it's 18mm MDF with acoustic wadding inside, I also bought some gold plated terminals from Maplin so I can take it out if I need to

And the finised article

You can get material from a Coach builders that maches your boot cloth and turn the sub facing the other way to be less obvious (sub is not directional like mids and tweeters). If you're building your own you have to mach the volume of the box to the speaker. Do a search on the net for sub enclosure design formula, I can't remember the site I used but there are some very good ones that have automated design features.

It's not so hard, just takes a bit of time and effort but it's worth it when you can say you did it youself.

·
So close I can almost....
82 Posts
minilka said:
cheers guys

How did you attach the box in your boot??
There's some luggage strapping brackets in the corners, I notched out the box and it kind of slots onto them with a very sturdy fit, so it doesn't move at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts