MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just limped into work - with my cooper s 02 plate. I suddenly lost power on the motorway - engine sounding like a tractor - revs going and cutting out at idle - rang dealer who says not to drive and could be the electonic engine system - anyone had a similar problem - also sods:mad: law just out of warranty - so am hoping it wont cost an arm and a leg....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HELP... new engine feared at 34K

Just heard from BMW dealer that NO OIL in my mini - it is not due for a service for another 8K miles and they wont say why the oil has gone - it is 4 months out of warranty and asked me to pay for the removal of cylinder head to invesatigate - -no oil light has ever come on but it was in just before Christmas for electric problems on the cabling - What is going on?? Any ideas out there.. sounds like i need a ne wengine at 34K and female sedate driver!!!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I read your top post and was about to tell you to check the oil:(

My Cooper Challenge car did the same during a race and I did not hear it (wearing a crash helmet) but I knew the car was down in power so pulled in and then I heard how bad it was.

When it runs out of oil the valves dont open properly due to the hydraulic lifters being empty.

I got an engine off ebay for £450 and fitted it myself;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pity you live in Scotland! The dealer said he would try to make a good case to BMW.. I'm not confident of anything - its costing 400-600 quid just for them to investigate!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm No i'm afraid I dont ....I was too confident in the service reminders..however the service guy thinks the oil has gone into the engine somewhere... as I have never had any leakage and i only do 1 journey each week of about 40 miles. Why no oil light ????

·
Best Personal Regards
2,022 Posts
This unfortunately is ever the case. People buy or lease a car and expect it to run itself, take care of itself forever. It REALLY does say in the Owners Manual what your responsibilities are. Hopefully you will keep your car and learn that you must keep an eye on the oil level, regardless of the age of the car.
At work we are actually working on a solution to this problem, but it is kind of a long shot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats exactly what I told the man in the service depot! No warning light so all OK was my philosophy... obviously not a correct one! The car had been in previously 5 times for electrical cabling faults ( air bag light on /windows opening themselves etc - last time was DEC 05.) All except for the last one was under the 3 year warranty. Apparantly BMW dont warranty a warranty repair........

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I checked my oil then did 8 laps before it was knackered and it was Not smokey nor did there appear to be any leeks:(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just been informed cylinder head gasket blown and up to date it is costing 1700 quid for repairs and a pressure test. Its only done 34K miles - something has got to be wrong here surely???
The chap in service says they will submit a goodwill claim to BMW but has no idea if it would be successful .....aaaghhhhh

·
Registered
62 Posts
This really hacks me off, some of us mechanically minded types will check the oil just because we have always done it specially if we have performance cars.
I have a Alfa 2.5V6 which has always used 250ml per 300 miles and just accept it as part of owning an Italian car, but when I bought my wife's MCC I asked the dealer where the dip stick etc was and he looked at me as if I was mad and said "you won't need to look under there" my point being were you ever told to check it when you bought the car because we wouldn't have been if I hadn't asked.
Now the Alfa owners manual says anything upto 1ltr per 1000km is acceptable so thats OK but as far as I can make out the Mini manual does not actually give to many clues as to whats acceptable.
I would be tempted to seek legal advice sooner rather than later, check your car and home insurance because some policy's include it.
Good luck!

·
Registered
151 Posts
maybe your oil pump or oil pressure switch might be a bit dodgy and it might not have brought on the oil warning light. good luck with the 'goodwill' claim tho!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good News... BMW have agreed to refund the labour costs on the job and my final bill comes to 350..... still a rip off I think, but a lot better than 1700 quid. I asked if I could activate a warranty but as there has been a 4 month gap.. they refused - has anyone else managed to pay for a warranty from BMW after the 3 years is up???

·
AWOL
14,247 Posts
ARotheram said:
Good News... BMW have agreed to refund the labour costs on the job and my final bill comes to 350..... still a rip off I think, but a lot better than 1700 quid. I asked if I could activate a warranty but as there has been a 4 month gap.. they refused - has anyone else managed to pay for a warranty from BMW after the 3 years is up???
Thats actually a pretty good deal, strictly speaking the car was out of warranty, and no matter what caused the problem I think you did very well to get that much paid...

Well done MINI I say... :)

I thought there was a 30 day period after the 3 years when you could still get the extended warranty, 3 months probably too far beyond that

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
northandy said:
Thats actually a pretty good deal, strictly speaking the car was out of warranty, and no matter what caused the problem I think you did very well to get that much paid...

Well done MINI I say... :)

I thought there was a 30 day period after the 3 years when you could still get the extended warranty, 3 months probably too far beyond that
There's an extended warranty option???? :aargh:.

:cool:

Go on - how many beer tokens is that?:(

·
Registered
759 Posts
ARotheram said:
Apparantly BMW dont warranty a warranty repair........
i've been down this road before...it may be it does, but it might be item specific. I've had a fax machine fail under warranty, get replaced and then fail again days before the original warranty ran out...we didnt bother with it again but i later found out on a trading standards site that an item replaced under warranty extends its warranty beyond the original. This means that items that have a design fault where they wont last the lifetime of the warranty wont leave you in the lurch when it ends.

i think as a matter of course all work done after warranty is covered for 12 months (well it was with my VW)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts