MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, any opinions on the following very welcome thanks!

Coming down the M6 had a sudden loss of power. No torque at all, could hardly get above 60mph. No warning lights. Like the turbo wasn't working. Looking under the bonnet saw the main air inlet hose was disconnected where it drops down behind the engine. I poked it back in, but looks like a clip was missing. Drove slightly better after that, but intermittent. Called MINI emergency service who said take it to the nearest dealer.

Stopped at Haliwell Jones in Warrington who had no time for me at all. They Really didn't give a **** to be honest. Said I'd have to book it in. Managed to persuade the service manager to get someone to have a look. This guy came out, looked at for 10 seconds, said the loose air inlet hose wouldn't give loss of power anyway, and I'd have to book it in. I refused to book it in with them cos I didn't like their attitude. (Normally I go to Lloyd in Carlisle who are great.)

Anyway, carried on and gradually the power returned, so by the time I got to work 15 minutes later it was driving like normal.

So if anyone has any advice please I'd be grateful. Can a loose air intake hose give loss of power? I'd just driven through a load of icy slush at the motorway services, could I have got some slush sucked into the engine? And has anyone else used Haliwell Jones at Warrington and got an opinion on their service deoartment?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Might have an answer to that myself. I called Lloyd at Carlisle and they've had 8 calls today about the same loss of power, all on diesels. They think that as it's so cold (-8 ish) that when you add in the wind chill you get at motorway speeds the diesel in the fuel rails is getting waxy. That's why when I came off the motorway it improved. It's more of a problem with supermarket diesel than Shell/BP etc which has more additives.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
sootyvrs
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing