MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
I just hope the stadia (thats the collective term and from the Latin, so ironic Romans and Greeks blah blah:eek: ) stand up to it, Lotta fallen down buildings in Greece last time I was there

Heres a pic of the main venue taken yesterday, still not finished I see :rolleyes:

·
Bringing Love to MINI2
19,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are spending millions on security alone. :eek: I really hope that there will be no distractions this time with drug-taking, etc. :rolleyes: It's such a distraction from the games and all the hard work, determination and effort that goes into being an olympian athlete.

·
totally sure!
25,310 Posts
I am not fussed by sport etc (prob 'cos I'm not any good at it!!) and am not worried either way by the Olympics but it's very nice to see the sportsmanship going on! Now days children in schools are not encouraged to be competitive.....it's a real shame as they have to be later on in life! What's wrong with wanting to win a race? How proud they are when they do win a race.....the look on their face is fantastic!!

Ooohh I am off on my soapbox now.....

Minnie - just climbing off the box

·
SCNM misfit
3,304 Posts
Minnie Mouse said:
I am not fussed by sport etc (prob 'cos I'm not any good at it!!) and am not worried either way by the Olympics but it's very nice to see the sportsmanship going on! Now days children in schools are not encouraged to be competitive.....it's a real shame as they have to be later on in life! What's wrong with wanting to win a race? How proud they are when they do win a race.....the look on their face is fantastic!!

Ooohh I am off on my soapbox now.....

Minnie - just climbing off the box
Agree Minnie - but also feel that as they say, 'winning isn't everything' don't forget the faces of the children who can't win, (not just due to not trying I mean). Its about balance between the 2 I guess :) : -

From the ancient Olympic Games- 'when the Persian military officer Tigranes "heard that the prize was not money but a crown [of olive], he could not hold his peace, but cried, 'Good heavens, Mardonius, what kind of men are these that you have pitted us against? It is not for money they contend but for glory of achievement!' Herodotus, Histories , 8.26.3

from the official web site -

GENERAL FACTS AND FIGURES
• 301 medal ceremonies will take place over a period of 16 days.
• 28 sports will be represented in 38 venues.
• 10,500 athletes and 5,500 team officials will participate.
• The Olympic Village will house 16,000 athletes and team officials during the Olympic Games and 6,000 during the Paralympic Games.
• Some 45,000 security personnel will work at the Olympic Games

soap box packed away as well :D
Dave

·
Registered
549 Posts
shedend said:
Agree Minnie - but also feel that as they say, 'winning isn't everything' don't forget the faces of the children who can't win, (not just due to not trying I mean). Its about balance between the 2 I guess :) : -

From the ancient Olympic Games- 'when the Persian military officer Tigranes "heard that the prize was not money but a crown [of olive], he could not hold his peace, but cried, 'Good heavens, Mardonius, what kind of men are these that you have pitted us against? It is not for money they contend but for glory of achievement!' Herodotus, Histories , 8.26.3

from the official web site -

GENERAL FACTS AND FIGURES
• 301 medal ceremonies will take place over a period of 16 days.
• 28 sports will be represented in 38 venues.
• 10,500 athletes and 5,500 team officials will participate.
• The Olympic Village will house 16,000 athletes and team officials during the Olympic Games and 6,000 during the Paralympic Games.
• Some 45,000 security personnel will work at the Olympic Games

soap box packed away as well :D
Dave
And Greece will make squillioins of Euro's / Dollars etc from the whole thing as a commercial jamboree:(

·
totally sure!
25,310 Posts
shedend said:

Dave

Ah now I see both sides of the argument........both working in a school environment and also having a son on the autistic spectrum!

Minnie xx

·
Blue is the colour!
13,507 Posts
ruthie said:
They are spending millions on security alone. :eek: I really hope that there will be no distractions this time with drug-taking, etc. :rolleyes: It's such a distraction from the games and all the hard work, determination and effort that goes into being an olympian athlete.
So the Aussie cyclists aren't making the news in your neck of the woods Ruthie. :eek:

·
Sotherner up north
1,221 Posts
Makes me glad I follow an Olympic sport that has never had any drug taking

Oh- and GB are a dead cert for at least one gold, and will be disappointed if they don't get 3/4 gold medals.

We're also lying second to the USA in the all time medals table - with the same number of gold, but less silver medals.

Go team GB Sailors :cool:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Don't worry people the greek way is much different than the western one. The stadia will and are ready, even if we have to paint them until the last minute (don't try this in your country it won't work :D ). And we are about to offer our best. As for security, it was the international hysteria that made us turn greece into a militarized zone with western equipment. Forcing the Olympic Ideal wasn't part of our ancient games.
From all the people here we wish the best to all of your teams and to who visits greece may have a pleasant time.

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Gee!
You think the highly paid "professional" ringers brought in will win?? :rolleyes:

I say we all cheer for Laos or something and turn off the telly when the US Basketball team plays. Allen Iverson the captain of the US team. What a friggin embarrassment :(

·
Shiredweller's Wife
2,732 Posts
obehave said:
Gee!
You think the highly paid "professional" ringers brought in will win?? :rolleyes:

I say we all cheer for Laos or something and turn off the telly when the US Basketball team plays. Allen Iverson the captain of the US team. What a friggin embarrassment :(
Agree. No place for pros in the "games".

·
Bringing Love to MINI2
19,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just heard this on the radio. Apparently, the Greeks and the Olympic Committee have enforced restrictions on the spectators, staff and athletes in order to impede "ambush marketing." No one is permitted beverages which are non-sponsored, ie Pepsi is forbidden. Coca Cola paid $60 million for sponsorship rights. Staff have been given uniforms, but they must supply their own shoes, with strict orders not to wear sneakers with a bright non-sponsor logo - and specifically NOT Adidas. If a spectator comes to the games with a t-shirt bearing religious or political preference, or a non-sponsor's logo, they must wear the t-shirt inside out. Wtf? :rolleyes:

This is the kind of crap that really turns me off from the Olympics - and I am a great fan. What a world! :rolleyes: :mad: :(

·
RedUn's Manicurist ;-þ
16,095 Posts
Opening cermonies were...fun...interesting, was that Bjiork?

Oooo watched some of the womens indoor volleyball, then watched some more at our friends Sat. night on their big screen with HDTV(the channel was repeating itself), good GOD almighty! HD is amazing :eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
13 Participants
MoonPie
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing