MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
BarWeetGarNarWeetNinnyBon
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do people purchase both sunroof and air conditioning. Don't you just need one of these not both?

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Kinster said:
Why do people purchase both sunroof and air conditioning. Don't you just need one of these not both?
Only in the UK would the two be judged as roughly equivalent. :D

This exact question is covered in this thread:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1153

Where I live a/c is a necessity that helps make life bearable for the larger part of the year and a sunroof is fun the other part. But it would never be a question of which to enjoy on a particular day. :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ive owned two softtop cars before the Merc ive got now and i couldnt live without the sunroof....

Some days its just not necessary to use the a/c but opening the roof is airy and just right its an expensive luxury to have both :D

·
Registered
927 Posts
Since I also drive a MG Midget - (no air conditioning available)

Some days you want the top down

Some stinkin' hot days in summer - you want the AC on.

BUT: I'm still undecided on how a white-roofed Cooper will look w/ the sunroof.:confused:

·
Registered
52 Posts
sdmidget said:
Since I also drive a MG Midget - (no air conditioning available)

Some days you want the top down

Some stinkin' hot days in summer - you want the AC on.

BUT: I'm still undecided on how a white-roofed Cooper will look w/ the sunroof.:confused:
Hi sdmidget!

Can tell you white-roofed Cooper with sunroof looks superb!

Mini-Fan

·
Registered
24 Posts
Kinster,
My existing Alfa has both sunroof and Air-con, climate control to be precise. My new Mini will have both as well despite the expense. Personally I drive with the sunroof open as often as I can simply because it is less claustrophobic and gives me some of the benefits of an open air car with out all the disadvantages. Its great in the country, you fell “closer to nature”, get to hear all the bird song etc ( if you like that sort of thing) and on B roads gives you a better sense of speed especially going through tree arches.
The Mini sunroof is a very superior beast because of its length plus the glass panels which give a very light feel.

Although opening the windows/sunroof can be seen as an alternative to air-con, this only works at low speeds because of the general noise and buffeting at higher speeds. I usually don’t have my sunroof open above 60mph. Also in traffic jams, opening the windows/sunroof can make things worse by letting in all the fumes and lorry noise.

IMHO, Air con is an essential:
1)On hot days especially in the city stuck in traffic-open sunroof can make things worse mind
2)Cold damp days-it clears condensation-a HUGE hidden advantage
3)On cold damp days and hot humid days even if the car is not steamed up, its makes for a less “clammy” environment.

Finally, its worth considering the extra for Climate control because when you open the sunroof on cold days, it takes all the hassle out of fiddling with the temperature controls to avoid getting roasted when you open it or frozen when you shut it.

I could not live without either. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Sunroof and shell strength

Any one any ideas or opinions on how that great big hole in the roof affects the rigidity of the shell?

I know the MINI has a very strong shell design but I'd be interested in the views of anyone who's driven MINIs with and without the sunroof - for comparison purposes.

Personally, I just went for the manual aircon and no s/roof on my MINI 'cos my other car has both and I hardly ever open the sunroof. Sun roofs are OK at low speeds and, as mentioned by howieb, you feel a bit more in touch with the outside world. But as soon as you put your foot down the wind noise and buffeting gets annoying.

I've owned several other cars with glass panel sunroofs which I hated as they made the interior hot even with a blind in place.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Kinster said:
In SE Queensland (Brisbane) Australia during the summer, temperatures are in thee high 30 to low 40's (Centigrade !!!) and humidity is at 100%. Air-Conditioning is a life saver. In winter where humidity is next to nothing (Similar to an English summer) The Sun Roof will be fantastic.

Air-conditioning in the states and in Australia is therefore standard fitment. As it should be with ALL new cars but isn't. It is a safety issue: HOT flustered drivers. COOL calm drivers.

Unless Global warming has drasticaly affected the climate in the UK in the last year or so, Air-conditioning in the UK would I'm sure still be considered a luxury item. Personaly I would not consider a/c in the UK if I still lived there. Having said that. You cannot beat air conditioning for clearing a fogged up windscreen in seconds, so maybe I should re-consider that last statement based on safety rather than luxury.

Heated rear view mirrors are another safety issue in any climate, and I will be specifying them for my S (If they don't come standard - Like the foglights :D ) bk!!.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I agree with what people have said.

I have a Cooper with the sunroof and climate control. The sunroof for the benefits of open air motoring with out the soft-top. Air con is for the cold rainy days for demisting. Although I do remember a week last summer when aircon would have been nice.

But most dealers these days say that aircon is almost a standard reqt on reslling cars. Therefore aircon is a good investment when it comes to resale. Sunroofs on the other hand don't add much value but are heaps of fun!!

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts