MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any of you lucky Mini owners with a sunroof tell me (and others) your experiences...like it? any problems/issues? I'm strongly thinking about my "S" in Liquid Yellow/Black roof with sunroof...

·
Registered
113 Posts
The sunroof felt seal parallel with our windscreen was never fixed properly - it would just fall down - you could pull it back up again but it wouldnt stay for long.,

The dealer tried to fix it 3 times - they wanted to take both glass parts completely out and fit a new seal. We rejected tha car before they had a chance.

This failure allowed some water into the roof cavity - although never into the passenger cabin.

Dave

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
baldie said:
The sunroof felt seal parallel with our windscreen was never fixed properly - it would just fall down - you could pull it back up again but it wouldnt stay for long.,

The dealer tried to fix it 3 times - they wanted to take both glass parts completely out and fit a new seal. We rejected tha car before they had a chance.

This failure allowed some water into the roof cavity - although never into the passenger cabin.

Dave
Presumably the water has to drain somewhere. I tried looking for the outlets on the UK cars here in oz, but couldn't find one. I note your getting a sunroof in your new spec.

:)

·
Registered
113 Posts
My dealer has assured me that my sunroof problem has not been a common issue.

Anyone know any different?

Check those seals everyone (with a sunroof that is)

Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
With the roof slid open, ambient wind noise becomes noticeable beyond 40 mph, and becomes quite intrusive as you approach 60 mph. When it's just tilted open it's pretty quiet at 60 mph.

The main reason I ordered a sunroof was to let more light into the cabin. It makes the interior more airy. In particular my back seat passengers have appreciated "their" glass roof.

I have had no problems at all with the seals or general operation of the unit, the build quality looks very good.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Point of interest on sunroofs.

Open the sunroof.

Stand by either door while open.

Peer into the workings of the sunroof.

What do you see - WOOD!

I kid you not.

Dave

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
baldie said:
Point of interest on sunroofs.

Open the sunroof.

Stand by either door while open.

Peer into the workings of the sunroof.

What do you see - WOOD!

I kid you not.

Dave
Hopefully its Ash or something akin to it. Morgan still have Ash chassis do they not ? Light, strong, and doesn't rot. Interesting choice of material in the 21st century all the same.

cheers

·
Registered
342 Posts
Can someone describe how the sunroof works? Electric or manual, etc.... Does the rear sunroof open? Details about the basic mechanics would be appreciated. Am getting an S as soon as they start taking orders, just curious about what to expect.

·
MINI2 Lurker + Sponsor
1,208 Posts
what little I know with you, I will share...
The sunroof is actually 2 sunroofs... the front one being the one that opens, the back one does not. both have sunblinds. The sunroof is electric and I think tilts at the first press/flick of the switch then slides... (I may be slightly wrong on this, I don't have the sunroof yet)
Hope this helps, there are more details on the forum if you do a search (god, I'm sounding like Basil ;) :D )

·
Registered
342 Posts
Actually that's exactly what I was wanting to know. From the interior pics of sunroofs that I've seen I had noticed what looked like controls on both the front and rear. Your explanation makes perfect sense, those controls I saw must have been for opening and closing the sunscreen.

It seemed curious, based upon exteriour pics of the roof open, that the rear window would also open as the front would just cover it up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sun Blind?

So Paul, is there a blind that slides out to block out the sun coming in...imagine US/Auz/Canadian (ok - it's brief :) summer with 40 C temp blazing through the glass...RSVP...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, translucent huh?

·
Wandering....
40,849 Posts
Baldie,

You mentioned wood in the sunroof channels earlier in this thread.

Noahe in another thread, (Pictures of my S") mentions that wood is a characteristic of a pre-production Cooper S - I got my Cooper in March, and obviously others have the wood too - anyone got clarification on this ?

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
AidenL said:
Baldie,

You mentioned wood in the sunroof channels earlier in this thread.

Noahe in another thread, (Pictures of my S") mentions that wood is a characteristic of a pre-production Cooper S - I got my Cooper in March, and obviously others have the wood too - anyone got clarification on this ?
Check back in that thread, Noahe clarified that it is not just a pre-production feature.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts