MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just looking for any advice, my sunroof has stopped working on my 03 plate Cooper S. Took it into the dealer today and they quoted about £275 for a new motor and about 4 hours labour to fit it.

Does this sound about right to you? To me it seems quite steep for both the part and the amount of time to fit it. Has anyone had a go at replacing the motor themselves.....or has anyone tried getting a goodwill gesture from BMW? Given the car has always been serviced by MINI and has only covered 30k it might be worth a shot?

Cheers

Matt

·
Registered
3 Posts
sunroof problem

Hi Matt, Hi everyone

I'm a newbie requiring help and Matt's post is on the same subject.

I have a 2001 Cooper. The sunroof got stuck in the fully open position. I was able to get this shut with a combination of manual crank and the normal switch. Took it to the dealer and have been quoted for a new frame (£668.09), new motor (£148.09), labour (£354.75) + vat =£1375.84.

It does not sound reasonable but it is normal???

Can anyone recommend an independent (in the Kent area) that could be recommended.

Help please if you can

Thanks

Ant

·
Registered
286 Posts
Before I shelled out, would open the roof manually and lube both upper and lower tracks with low temp grese and then close it manually, hoping that the motor just cut itself off due to resistance. Check the fuse and relay too. An 03 that has never been lubed is due a failure, they must be lubed every two years or so or the motors will burn up or cut themselves off due to drag. I lube mine and the sunshade tracks every spring. This problem will get much worse soon as more 02's and 03's pack it in with the added openings in the summer weather.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi Matt, Hi everyone

I'm a newbie requiring help and Matt's post is on the same subject.

I have a 2001 Cooper. The sunroof got stuck in the fully open position. I was able to get this shut with a combination of manual crank and the normal switch. Took it to the dealer and have been quoted for a new frame (£668.09), new motor (£148.09), labour (£354.75) + vat =£1375.84.

It does not sound reasonable but it is normal???

Can anyone recommend an independent (in the Kent area) that could be recommended.

Help please if you can

Thanks

Ant
You must have had a tree fall on yours, I can't imagine that all this is no good. Get anotyher opinion.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Before I shelled out, would open the roof manually and lube both upper and lower tracks with low temp grese and then close it manually, hoping that the motor just cut itself off due to resistance. Check the fuse and relay too. An 03 that has never been lubed is due a failure, they must be lubed every two years or so or the motors will burn up or cut themselves off due to drag. I lube mine and the sunshade tracks every spring. This problem will get much worse soon as more 02's and 03's pack it in with the added openings in the summer weather.
By the way, do not use standard grease, you may as well put glue on it, use only grease made for garage door opener screws and such. In the US, it is Lubriplate, I'm sure the UK has garage door opener grease as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ant - have exactly the same problem with the wife's car here, BMW quoted similar prices, yet the motor hasnt died yet, its almost as if there's just too much resistance for it to retract fully. It retracts about 10 inches really slowly, then returns to open. She called the AA out, who manually closed it.

Can anyone point me to the info on manual operation and i'll get it open, give it a lube and try again

T

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Tony

Sounds like the same problem. I will do the same when I get time. I will try my best not to pay BMW.

In our 2001 model, the manual crank in underneath the roof panelling behind the clock. Gently pop the clock out of the roof panelling and use the tiny crank supplied in the "tool-kit".
It's very, very slow.

If you have a newer model I'd suggest checking you manual as it could be different

Ant

1 - 7 of 7 Posts