MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Cooper (sep) had a problem from day 1 with the sunroof seal.

The felt seal running parallel with the windcreen would fall down into the roof space - it was easy to run your finger along and pull it back up into place but would always drop down again.

We have specced a sunroof on our replacement as our dealer told us it is not a common problem.

Sunroof owners please reply - even if it is just to say your roof is fine.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sunroof question - no problem with sunroof seals but we did have a very noisy roof when it was frozen - felt like the roof was flexing and cracking the ice on it. Apart from that it has been fine.

Neil

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Neil.

Keep them coming sunroof owners.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi!

Had my Cooper for 3 weeks, no problems with sunroof, I don't want to miss it!

Cheers!
Mini-Fan

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got my cooper mid sept and have had absolutely no problems with my sunroof, hardly had a chance to use it over winter though, roll-on summer.

Jon

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have had my sunroof for 3 weeks, and no problems at all.

On an early build dealer demo, the sunroof had some bad squeaks and groans. They said that the car was going back to the factory for some modifications/tightening up befoe sale.

Looking forward to summer!!!!

:D :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Creaking Sunroof

We too had the creaking noise when the roof was icy or snowed over, I guess it was the seals de-frosting from the inside out, but other than that no problems with the seals, it was the rest of the car that we had problems with, but they have all been well documented by others so I wont bore everybody.

Anyway, we too have specced a s/r on out second cooper which is due in March, so dont worry too much .

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had mine for less than 2 weeks and so far no problems. But hadn't had any chance to use it as yet. I want summer!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've been using my sunroof as much as possible, when it's not raining I open it and drive around with the heater on, it's great! However, I've had the creaking when frozen, (normal I would have thought) but more seriously a nsty 'grating' noise when opneing and closing which it's been back once for and is going in agani on the 25th for that and others...

HTH

Jon

P.S. It's still a great car and I will be sorry if BMW can't sort out all the little niggles as I'll be hard pressed to find anything else that handles or drives anywhere near as well.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Sunroof

I have the same problem with the seal on the sunroof, slipping down, but also mine rattles virtually all the time but especially when riding oner bumps, anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
8 Posts
My car was delivered on Jan 3rd. No problems, so far, with sunroof. :)

·
Fun on 2 & 4 wheels!
185 Posts
Got mine in September and used it lots for a month or so. Hardly used it since obviously! No problems at all with it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
MINI ONE

Was given a brand spankin Mini One as a courtesy car, and on driving it one night witht he roof open, it decided it didn't want to close...

Ended up having to close it manually which was a complete nightmare, having to remove the clock to get the manual winder handle in...The manual talks about a small cover in the roof liner which hides the winder socket...I couldn;t see it!!!

Checked the fuses and it wasn't that... suppose the dealer fixed, i don;t care, wasn;t my car...

P.s. The MINI ONE is pants compared to the Cooper, no go!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Got my cooper November. No probs with seals but had it in a month ago for bad rattle when closed.It got fixed but has come back when you have it on tilt.

·
Registered
32 Posts
baldie said:
The felt seal running parallel with the windcreen would fall down into the roof space - it was easy to run your finger along and pull it back up into place but would always drop down again.
This thread seems to have dried up, does that mean no-one has been having the seal sink problem for a good while? My Sept '02 MINI has starting dipping its seal in the corner above the drivers head, so far that there is a gap between the roof and the seal! Needless to say I'll be having a word with the dealer. Don't fancy sitting in wet seats!!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
i've had my MINI for a little over a week now, and i haven't found any problems with the sunroof. until my dealer called me today and told me that they forgot to install the frame of the sunroof. i haven't even noticed, but when i check inside my car, sure enough, the black frame is missing from the rear sunroof. gonna take her in to the dealer tomorrow to have it installed.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts