MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Weirdest thing happen out of nowhere, I was parked listening to the radio for a few min. When I tried to Start the car everything went dead. No lights. No nothing. Tried to jump it. Took us 20 min. Wouldn't turn over. Since then I noticed the sunroof won't work well. Starts to open. And then stops, Then closes, Then stops.
I checked rhe battery at auto zone. They say all is good with batt and alt.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
Hi. Weirdest thing happen out of nowhere, I was parked listening to the radio for a few min. When I tried to Start the car everything went dead. No lights. No nothing. Tried to jump it. Took us 20 min. Wouldn't turn over. Since then I noticed the sunroof won't work well. Starts to open. And then stops, Then closes, Then stops.

MINI body control unit complaints - Professional Motor Mechanic
click above link

·
Registered
80 Posts

Did you reinitialize the sunroof?

With the engine running, keep the sunroof button pressed to the first intent (i.e. manual closing). Keep it there and after a about 20s the sunroof will go through a complete opening/closing sequence. Once it closes release the button.

That should re-write all values that might be battery related. If the problem persists, then it might be a mechanical issue.

PS: It is difficult to diagnose a battery, cause what they do is just read the voltage. I have seen dead batteries report 13+ V, but when you actually try to pull any current out of them they just go flat. This is why MINI's onboard computer is also ineffective in predicting battery condition, as it relies only on the voltage reading. With a healthy battery you would have gotten a warning of "increased battery consumption", as the voltage drops as the battery is depleted. So I would recommend you replace your battery ASAP.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you reinitialize the sunroof?

With the engine running, keep the sunroof button pressed to the first intent (i.e. manual closing). Keep it there and after a about 20s the sunroof will go through a complete opening/closing sequence. Once it closes release the button.

That should re-write all values that might be battery related. If the problem persists, then it might be a mechanical issue.

PS: It is difficult to diagnose a battery, cause what they do is just read the voltage. I have seen dead batteries report 13+ V, but when you actually try to pull any current out of them they just go flat. This is why MINI's onboard computer is also ineffective in predicting battery condition, as it relies only on the voltage reading. With a healthy battery you would have gotten a warning of "increased battery consumption", as the voltage drops as the battery is depleted. So I would recommend you replace your battery ASAP.
Worked perfectly, u saved me few hundred dollars. Was going to take it to repair shop

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again. Will replace batt, do u recommend any particular brand , 2009 basic model

1 - 5 of 5 Posts