MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 S is has had a sunroof rattle since purchase that's destroying an otherwise wonderful experience. If you have had this problem and gotten a satisfactory resolution, please share it and the name of your dealer. It's been to the dealer (Mini of Mountain View) 5 times for this issue, and relief ranges from none to a complete fix lasting only a week or two. Of course, it doesn't help that a road test around the dealership doesn't always replicate the problem while I'm there. I'm not crazy, really!!

The rattle occurs mostly in cooler temperatures (early morning / after sundown) and subsides as the day warms. It occurs just to the right of the Sunroof controls on the lip / ledge where the Sunroof Shade attaches. I can make the noise disappear if I turn my hand into a "C clamp" and squeeze top and bottom together. In fact, I could make the problem go away if I purchased a clamp and kept it tightened. Of course, this is ridiculous and would also prevent me from closing the Sunroof Shade. I can't say if this is related to problems reported about open Sunroof in earlier postings, I have heard that it may necessary to replace the Sunroof Cartridge. In this respect, I have heard 1. Some dealers recommend this not be done, i.e. cure worse than disease 2. Some dealers are unwilling to do this unless you present them with irrefutable evidence. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
I had my cassette replaced for similar noise. Now all the sunroof noises are gone, but the defflector rattle/buzz is still persistent - especially with the sunroof in vent position. New deflector housing assembly is to be installed. This will be the 13th dealer visit in a year and a half for the sunroof rattling.

Hope for the best with your dealer, prepare to be yanked around interminably, or trade your MINI in for one without a sunroof.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Oh, three things:

Mine rattled like the dickens when it was closed, too.

Felt tape on the deflectors will TEMPORARILY alleviate the problem.

Please search "sunroof rattle". Billions of MINI owners served.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for this enlightening, if not encouraging, news. The unfortunately thing is that without responses like yours, there would be no information on which to act.

Best Regards,

James

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the update. I'll try the search. Hope you are able to get a resolution. I will post my upcoming dealer experiences.

Regards,

James

·
03 MCS Pure Silver / Blk
232 Posts
There are many with similar problems temporarily cured per the threads recommended above. Mine has rattled slightly since new and I never have bothered to fix it.... many louder more obnoxious rattles to deal with (I think they are all fixed now ...knock on wood).

I have noticed that if I open and close my sunroof when traveling slowly (about 20mph) and wipe the crud off the wind diverter before closing, it generally sits correrctly without the rattle. Then I hessitate to reopen the sunroof unless on a run with others.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
roni
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing