MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have just bought my first ever mini cab and I love it! I got it cheap because the roof doesn't work. I have checked the relays, replaced the soft top module, checked the boot micro switches and taken apart and lubed the motor in the centre of the roof.

If I turn the pump screw 1.5 turns to manually open the roof and then manually close the roof, but without fully engaging the latches, the roof will fully work a few times before starting to blow fuses again.

My thinking is now that it is sunroof related... the fuse pops as soon as the button is pushed. A lot of the issues I see are sunroof doesn't open fully...well this doesn't open at all... but as I said if done manually it does work so it's not a snapped wire. I've lubed everything with lithium grease and now I'm stumped....

HELP please 馃榿

Registered
sounds like motor is faulty
if car suffered water ingress at any point can effect the motor,, also if any of roof bearing points are stiff from rust can do it ,,, as a electric motor at that very first point it trys to turn is a dead short for spit second the system can dead with this ie designed in to it, but if motor cant spin up fast it will bang out a fuse to protect from dead shaft,

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like motor is faulty
if car suffered water ingress at any point can effect the motor,, also if any of roof bearing points are stiff from rust can do it ,,, as a electric motor at that very first point it trys to turn is a dead short for spit second the system can dead with this ie designed in to it, but if motor cant spin up fast it will bang out a fuse to protect from dead shaft,
I did wonder if it was the motor. Is there a way to test this or should I just buy a replacement motor? Thanks for the quick reply

Registered
yes can test it need a volt and amp meter put meter in the live circuit set to amps and try and run roof,, make note of the fuse that blws rating ie 25amp say that circuit should have no more than 25amps showing when roof running ,, constant tends to be around 20amps ish as fuses tend to work at 20% ish tolerance within the circuit before blowing, below link explains how to

1 - 4 of 4 Posts