MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok anyone have a fix for this one? my sun roof squeeks when its open (slid back, i dont mean flipped up).

I ran some searches but I only found sunroof rattling posts and seat squeeking posts... I didnt see any Sunroof Squeeking posts...

Thanks in advance!

·
a.k.a Handsome Rob
2,955 Posts
I think I read somewhere the rails needed grease. I think it was Obehave

Tavis1 :red:

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I thought I read somthing like that but I can locate the post on where to grease it and its not squeeking when its openning or closeing jsut when its opened... I think somthing is rubbing against each other creating the sqeeks when the road isnt smooth.

·
Driver
86 Posts
Squeeky

Hey, mine did it! Took it back to the dealer and they greased it. This doesnt work long term cos i was back with the same problem within a month. They had another play with it and decided to "replace the cassette" not quite sure what it is but i think its the fixed part of the sunroof! Sunroof is squeek free now!

Russ...

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hummm replaced the cassette? If I told my dealer that they wouldnt know what I was talking about... :( :rolleyes:

Ok sounds like a trip to the dealer... thanks!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Cassette replacement would like to solve your issue. Mine did not squeak, but the closing was very loud - sharp "thump" noise, just like the glass hitting the metal part. Dealer replaced the cassette and everything is smooth now. We'll see if it develops anything new over time...

By the way, I needed to get something from the car while they were working on it. EVERYTHING was on the floor above the door level :) It is not fun to see your car like that...

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had the 'clunk' as the roof shuts once, which was fixed by the Dealer, andsqueaking which is an ongoing problem. Given that the car is in the shop on average once every 6 weeks I usually ask the Dealer to check the alignment and re-grease, which at least solves the problem temporarily

·
saving the world
2,896 Posts
nickj77 said:
I have had the 'clunk' as the roof shuts once, which was fixed by the Dealer, andsqueaking which is an ongoing problem. Given that the car is in the shop on average once every 6 weeks I usually ask the Dealer to check the alignment and re-grease, which at least solves the problem temporarily
same here...

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh man... theres so many problems with the sun roof???? Geeee... the sun roof in my dads 12 year old car has been flawless... and he uses it like 360 days a year!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Don't replace the cassette. There's an easy fix. The link that people were referring to has gone down, but here's what you do:

- buy a tub of thick moly type grease
- take the metal hook out of the toolkit, the one that's meant for removing the centres of the wheels.
- Cover the hook in grease and pass it between the rubber seals that lead all the way to the back of the sunroof and grease the runners which you can't see cos they're concealed. Use LOADS of grease and to both sides. I did mine 2 years ago and the squeak has not come back yet!

·
Registered
700 Posts
One possible problem with using grease is it tends to harden a bit with age. I've had similar problems with a squeaky sunroof on another car and instead of grease, I used Lithium lube in a spray can. Lithium lube will not harden with age, and will not clump like grease.

The spray can has a small tube, about 10" long, that fits into the spray nozzle. The tube is perfect for reaching into cracks and crevices. Just stick the spray tube into the channel and spray.

I use a towel beneath the area where I'm spraying to keep the lube away from clean surfaces. It can get messy, but it's better, IMHO.

I hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Replaced a spring

On and off I've had sunroof rattles and squeaks, but only when the sunroof was open. First time I fixed it, did it myself with help of someone here on mini2. Next time, the dealer tightened something. Last week, it was back in and the tech replaced a spring. That seemed to fix it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts