MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! 05' EB MCS..I am desperatly awaiting the time until we are good to go on teh build! We ordered in June and are expecting the word anytime. However, while we still have a little time left, I have found a few topics on other sites about the sunroof being a pain/problem: ie...to hot, no "visor", etc. Please help! We don't have much time left! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! GO MINI!

Kim

·
Registered
295 Posts
wwpaddler03 said:
Hey all! 05' EB MCS..I am desperatly awaiting the time until we are good to go on teh build! We ordered in June and are expecting the word anytime. However, while we still have a little time left, I have found a few topics on other sites about the sunroof being a pain/problem: ie...to hot, no "visor", etc. Please help! We don't have much time left! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! GO MINI!

Kim
The sunroof is the best addition you can get for a hardtop MINI.
It gives the interior a light airy feeling.
There are no squeaks, no rattles, no leaks
It does not make the car too hot in the summer because of the tinting and the interior sunshade.
I have not found it noisy when open - in fact it is much quieter than any other sunroof equipped car that I have had.
It goes great with a Black roof but if you want a white roof then CooperFlags do a White vinyl decal for the sunroof which still allows the light through but makes the sunroof look White.
There is no downside to it and a lot of benefits.
Go for it!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I agree completely with the last post. I live in South Florida, and I've never found heat from the sunroof to be a problem at all, as a matter of fact the side windows were letting in the heat so I had them tinted. But now, when it's winter in the 70's and 60's outside, it sure is nice being able to open her up!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello....

I have a 2004 Mini Cooper with sunroof.
The sunroof has never rattled, squealed, leaked or anything weird (so far!).

I live in Southern California, and I am a bit paranoid by the sun, and it does bother me when I drive -- alot.

The 2004 does not have "side" visors, and that is really the main culprit.
When I am driving the sun can really blaze in through the driver's side window.
So (this is going to sound so lame), I actually take a CD insert (you know, a regular "three-fold insert" from a music CD--about 5 inches tall and 12 inches wide) and I slide it in between the window and the top door seal (does that make sense?), and that blocks the sun. Stupid looking, but it works. I'm not blinded by the sun, and it doesn't really block my view.

As far as the sunroof goes, I picked up an inexpensive windshield sun guard thing (you know, those silver fold-up things you put on your windshield when you park it somewhere), and I cut it to fit in the sunroof. The Mini's sunroof "visor" holds it in place.

I leave that in there all the time! No sun comes through during the day.
If I want to use the sunroof (mostly at night), I just open the "visor," fold up the "shade" and toss it in back.

That seems to work for me okay.

I wish the "visor" completely blocked out the sun.
I'm going to see if I can get someone to fit a solid fabric on that sunroof visor somehow.

Anyone have any idea?

Just my 2 cents.

But get the sunroof.
It's pretty great at night!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I personally chose a white roof because I didn't want a black roof making the car hot. I chose a sunroof because my wife loves them.

I have a 2003 MCS and live in So. Cal. The sun roof had rattles between the sun roof and the deflector, which was easily cured with a wide strip of velcro (the soft side) where the wear marks were on the deflector. Since then, the sun roof has been a dream. I have never had a problem with too much sun getting in, it is nice to open it up on a clear day.

For long term ownership, you can pretty much assume the sun roof will leak eventually, hopefully it will take a long time.

Overall, the mini is a great car with or without the sun roof.

·
Registered
101 Posts
bob_dylan said:
Hello....

I have a 2004 Mini Cooper with sunroof.
The sunroof has never rattled, squealed, leaked or anything weird (so far!).

I live in Southern California, and I am a bit paranoid by the sun, and it does bother me when I drive -- alot.

The 2004 does not have "side" visors, and that is really the main culprit.
When I am driving the sun can really blaze in through the driver's side window.
So (this is going to sound so lame), I actually take a CD insert (you know, a regular "three-fold insert" from a music CD--about 5 inches tall and 12 inches wide) and I slide it in between the window and the top door seal (does that make sense?), and that blocks the sun. Stupid looking, but it works. I'm not blinded by the sun, and it doesn't really block my view.

As far as the sunroof goes, I picked up an inexpensive windshield sun guard thing (you know, those silver fold-up things you put on your windshield when you park it somewhere), and I cut it to fit in the sunroof. The Mini's sunroof "visor" holds it in place.

I leave that in there all the time! No sun comes through during the day.
If I want to use the sunroof (mostly at night), I just open the "visor," fold up the "shade" and toss it in back.

That seems to work for me okay.

I wish the "visor" completely blocked out the sun.
I'm going to see if I can get someone to fit a solid fabric on that sunroof visor somehow.

Anyone have any idea?

Just my 2 cents.

But get the sunroof.
It's pretty great at night!
Try to find Car & Driver , October is., they had long term MINI with sunroof and they fix it in some way.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
All my previous cars had sunroofs (rooves....??) and I generally like them, when I saw the MINI's one I had to have it. It really made the interior look nice and light.

Unfortunately....I hardly ever use it, every time I'm above 40mph the noise is very loud. The previous cars I had made half the noise at double the speed and they were sticky outy sunroofs as well. I recently drove a convertible and even it is quieter!!

I've driven MINIs without the sunroof and I can honestly say that I haven't really noticed it missing. If I was speccin' again I would choose no for the sunroof, save me some weight and some money.

Still if you like it, don't let me be the single nay sayer, go get it. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.