MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's talk sunroofs. I've seen the photos on the miniusa site, but am wondering exactly how does the panoramic sunroof work. It looks as if the front part slides beneath the rear roof.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Not beneath, but on top. Of the two panes of glass only the front one moves - the rear is fixed. The front panes slides on top of the rear.

You can even see an animated graphic of this sunroof opening/closing on the miniusa.com site. Go to the "Features and Specs" section under the model you want, then go to "Exterior Features" and double click on the roof.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Basil said:
....2/. How much extra weight does it add ?

Dunno, but the miniusa.com site makes note of the sunroof being "framed with reinforced steel" so.... along with the weight of the glass panes, plus the motor, plus the shades, plus the steel frame, plus the misc. parts, it must add a good deal of weight.

In the specs, no different weight is quoted for a MINI equipped with the sunroof but I would guess it weighs at least 100 lbs? (45 kg?). It must bring the car's center of gravity up very slightly, too. Right?

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
BruceK said:

......In the specs, no different weight is quoted for a MINI equipped with the sunroof but I would guess it weighs at least 100 lbs? (45 kg?). It must bring the car's center of gravity up very slightly, too. Right?
Yes, it's the weight at roof level that concerns me a little, but 45kg isn't a great deal in the scope of things. Hopefully BMW decided it doesn't detract from the cars handling....be nice to know exactly what the weight difference is though.....

·
Registered
213 Posts
Who cares about the weight!!!

You either want a sunroof or you don't!

PS. The panoramic roof is one of the main reasons I ordered a MINI!:D :D

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Garry said:
Who cares about the weight!!!

You either want a sunroof or you don't!

PS. The panoramic roof is one of the main reasons I ordered a MINI!:D :D
If I didn't care, I wouldn't have asked..... Just ignore a post if it brings forth such outbursts.

The question still stands in case anyone more helpful wishes to comment....

Thank you very much !:mad:

·
Registered
213 Posts
My apologies if you thought I was making an outburst...

Only an outburst about how good those sunroofs are!:)

I have driven a few Coopers with the sunroof:

A. The performance is excellent.
B. The car handles like a roller skate
C. The newer cars have eliminated the squeaks and rattles from the early production models.
D. If you are in warm climate like Oz, make sure you have aircon as they will let a lot of warmth into the car.

But sorry, I don't have the info on how much they add to the weight of the car.

·
Loves MINI2
855 Posts
I am planning on getting the sunroof option also.
Basil - I was also concerned about weight and if it changes the aerodynamics of the car.
I know on the Acura Integra Type R, they do not give you the option of a sunroof because it effects the aerodynamics of the car and adds extra weight, so I would assume the same for the MINI.
I still cannot answer your question on how much weight though!
Thanks

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
minicoopersgirl said:
Basil - I was also concerned about weight and if it changes the aerodynamics of the car..., so I would assume the same for the MINI.
The way I look at it is that, cutting a big hole in the roof and adding a couple of heavy pains of glass has to not only add weight to the car but also affect the rigidity of the chassis. For reasons such as these I am staying well clear of a sunroof. It does feel nice inside the car with the sunroof, but to me adding anything that could possibly affect the superb handling of the car is a risk not worth taking.

LMB:D

·
Registered
62 Posts
LMB said:

The way I look at it is that, cutting a big hole in the roof and adding a couple of heavy pains of glass has to not only add weight to the car but also affect the rigidity of the chassis. For reasons such as these I am staying well clear of a sunroof. It does feel nice inside the car with the sunroof, but to me adding anything that could possibly affect the superb handling of the car is a risk not worth taking.

LMB:D
Correct on both counts, however I think the roof was designed in an "H" fashion, so the cross-member that divides the two panes of glass is similar to the member in a regular roof. You are removing the two sections of metal between the "H legs" and replacing in with the glass cartridge. Some weight is offset.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Garry said:
My apologies if you thought I was making an outburst...

Only an outburst about how good those sunroofs are!:)

I have driven a few Coopers with the sunroof:

A. The performance is excellent.
B. The car handles like a roller skate
C. The newer cars have eliminated the squeaks and rattles from the early production models.
D. If you are in warm climate like Oz, make sure you have aircon as they will let a lot of warmth into the car.

But sorry, I don't have the info on how much they add to the weight of the car.
Thanks Garry. Air-con is standard issue here......

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
minicoopersgirl said:
Basil - I was also concerned about weight and if it changes the aerodynamics of the car.
I know on the Acura Integra Type R, they do not give you the option of a sunroof because it effects the aerodynamics of the car and adds extra weight, so I would assume the same for the MINI.
I still cannot answer your question on how much weight though!
Thanks
Thanks for that......

·
Loves MINI2
855 Posts
Sunroof Controls

Does anyone know where the sunroof control will be? I am guessing it will be along the strip of controls where the window controls are. Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's a good guess, but the sunroof control switch is actually mounted on the roof panel, forward of the glass panel and next to the clock moulding.

It's a two-stage switch....press it upwards to tilt the glass, and then slide the switch backwards to fully open the roof. If you want to go straight to the fully open position, simply slide the switch backwards in the first place!!

oh, by the way, closing the roof is ALWAYS a two stage process, i.e. the open roof will only return to the tilt position, you then have to press the switch again to close the roof.

hope this helps...?!;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm unable to make up my mind about the sunroof. Reasons why:

1. I would prefer Dark Silver with the white roof, but the sunroof doesn't look to good on a white roof. I haven't seen any good pics of a Dark Silver with a Black roof so I can't make any judgment there.

2. I'm also concerned about how much weight is gained and how much of the cars rigidity is compromised.

3. I live in the Southeast and our summers can be failrly hot(90's). I'm worried about how hot it's going to get inside the vehicle when it only has the sunshades like those that are offered as an option on the 5-Series, X5, and the 7-Series. My experience with the cloth sunshade is that it doesn't not fully block out enough of the sun, so on a roof this may be a serious problem.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sunroof

Stop me if I'm wrong, but I thought the sunroof is going to be made of some kind of glass material, not cloth.:confused:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts