MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well had the mini now 3 weeks- ( 52 plate MCS)

Had an opportunity last night to stretch her legs fully, - Warmed up the car & met up with friend who has a Vauxhall vvx 220 ( Standard non turbo )- only modified with a K&N filter panel-

Amazed, - Pulled away from the 220 in 1st 2nd & third - then the gap evened out- not getting any bigger-
Now bearing in mind these push around mid 5's 0-60 & my best friend hates losing to anything I was utterly astonished, I thought I would be even ish in first & gradually lose further up the gearing-

Although the car hasnt been to GTT in my habds many thanks to Roland & his team for a stunning job- I may have to take part in the next RR day in Slurry-

My first trip to blandford is PLANNEd for this week to add the much awaited ( from my end) Porsche brakes upgrade-
Excited isnt the word...

regards
BTDO :)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
strange, thats the same spec is mine but mine RR'd at 260bhp with just 2500 miles on the clock. And its loosened up since then. Saw that car on pistonheads a while back

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...You have GTT Intercooler Ant.:smile:

Mine has the GRS motorsport intercooler....

As opposed to the GTT one - Are we saying then the GTT one is better- ( as in worth an additional purchase extra...) OR would the intercooler 'Cooler' jet suffice that you advertise???

Bearing in mind Im down to you Thursday Roland having the Porsche Stoppers....... :biggrin:
May have to stop a little longer....

Its quite funny not knowing how much power you actually have- All I know is everything I come across hasnt stood a chance- Im out with an FQ 330 friday- That will be a loss.... :(

BTDO

·
M3 CSL
724 Posts

As opposed to the GTT one - Are we saying then the GTT one is better- ( as in worth an additional purchase extra...) OR would the intercooler 'Cooler' jet suffice that you advertise???

Bearing in mind Im down to you Thursday Roland having the Porsche Stoppers....... :biggrin:

Its quite funny not knowing how much power you actually have- All I know is everything I come across hasnt stood a chance- Im out with an FQ 330 friday- That will be a loss.... :(

BTDO
I will take that GRS off your hands if you are changing to another one;) (if its cheap enough:wink:)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts

BTDO
No solid proof as nobdoes tested all the intercoolers on the same car. It is bigger though, but hey as i say to all the ladies size does'nt matter, well thats my story and i'm sticking to it.:D

also be careful on which minis you chase after, as there are a fair few quick ones on here and other forums now.

·
M3 CSL
724 Posts
also be careful on which minis you chase after, as there are a fair few quick ones on here and other forums now.

Specially one that looks stock as it shocked an EVO 8 driver:biggrin:, they don't like it when you try and make them move out the way so you can pass them:aargh:!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Specially one that looks stock as it shocked an EVO 8 driver:biggrin:, they don't like it when you try and make them move out the way so you can pass them:aargh:!!
HE HE- Ive noticed that people dont like getting flashed by a mini-

They have to yeild eventually though :biggrin::biggrin:

I think when all said & done the engines performance of mine is almost there, I will probably replaced the exhaust system at some point, the choice of 'Longlife exhausts' by the previous owner is as good a choice as going to jamaica the day before a hurrricane arrives-
Post that there isnt a great deal of improvement unless you start uprating the head more.. & thats £££
I am estiamting around 255 on the car at the me moment, I will talk to roland Thursday regarding any small further mods I could make- Anyone have any suggestions???

Regards
BTDO

·
M3 CSL
724 Posts
HE HE- Ive noticed that people dont like getting flashed by a mini-

They have to yeild eventually though :biggrin::biggrin:

I think when all said & done the engines performance of mine is almost there, I will probably replaced the exhaust system at some point, the choice of 'Longlife exhausts' by the previous owner is as good a choice as going to jamaica the day before a hurrricane arrives-
Post that there isnt a great deal of improvement unless you start uprating the head more.. & thats £££
I am estiamting around 255 on the car at the me moment, I will talk to roland Thursday regarding any small further mods I could make- Anyone have any suggestions???

Regards
BTDO
I am still on stock exhaust putting out 270+bhp and this is the point when a more free flowing exhaust works. I would gain 10bhp from fitting a milltek catback but I prefer a quiet/stealth car ;)

The exhaust IMO only needs to be done once your flowing sooo much air that you need to get it out quick, and you can only flow massive amounts of air with a very good head:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
he should be ok, the stage 2 gtt head can put out 273 on a standard exhaust,i personally prefer some noise, milltek stillseems better for performnce thn my JCW challenge motorsport, but the JCW just sounds so good

·
M3 CSL
724 Posts
he should be ok, the stage 2 gtt head can put out 273 on a standard exhaust,i personally prefer some noise, milltek stillseems better for performnce thn my JCW challenge motorsport, but the JCW just sounds so good
That was a re route pipe wasn't it? Would like to hear the difference from stock as I have thought about doing this:)

If I was not to concerned about noise I would get the RMW race exhaust system for my car, I believe it is loud though:D

That JCW challenge exhaust is crazy loud!!!!!:aargh:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That was a re route pipe wasn't it? Would like to hear the difference from stock as I have thought about doing this:)

If I was not to concerned about noise I would get the RMW race exhaust system for my car, I believe it is loud though:D

That JCW challenge exhaust is crazy loud!!!!!:aargh:

Well fair play play to longlife exhausts there- When I start my car in London weds Roland will hear in Dorset....

I just need to check whether its had the uprated manifold.....

Cheers guys
BTDO

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am still on stock exhaust putting out 270+bhp and this is the point when a more free flowing exhaust works. I would gain 10bhp from fitting a milltek catback but I prefer a quiet/stealth car ;)

The exhaust IMO only needs to be done once your flowing sooo much air that you need to get it out quick, and you can only flow massive amounts of air with a very good head:biggrin:
Hi- obviouly you can see my cars spec, apart from the difference in intercoolers have you anything different added..

The tryes im running are for wet conditions & are more teaded I wonder how much difference they make....

BTDO

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have the re-route pipe. I haven't heard the car being driven by someone else, but it's a fair bit louder without turning middle aged women's heads as I drive by. It pops a lot louder now as well. All up I'm happy with it.

·
M3 CSL
724 Posts
Hi- obviouly you can see my cars spec, apart from the difference in intercoolers have you anything different added..

The tryes im running are for wet conditions & are more teaded I wonder how much difference they make....

BTDO
My Spec:

15% pulley
Syntol racing oil (power releasing)
1320 camshaft
RMW head
RMW tune
GP I/C
JCW airbox
Janspeed mani+cat
RMW 440CC injectors

Peak bhp made 274bhp, peak torque made 215 lbs/ft (made 269.5bhp in 28degC temp with cllipping shown on the dyno graph from 6500rpm so could of been over 274 if I could keep the inlet temps down)

And also run a [email protected] at Santa Pod with a fully optioned car and heavy S-spoke wheels/runflats and stock bushing.

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
...You have GTT Intercooler Ant.:smile:
And I guess thats worth an extra 15 brake over the GRS right, anything to back that up? :rolleyes:

Just because its bigger doesn't mean it performs better, if your sat in traffic its actually worse because it will just soak up more heat than a smaller one. Check the thread in engine and drivetrain forums, think over 50% of the people voted use GRS...

If your going to change it I'll buy it off you so PM me if you do :D

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
And I guess thats worth an extra 15 brake over the GRS right, anything to back that up? :rolleyes:

Just because its bigger doesn't mean it performs better, if your sat in traffic its actually worse because it will just soak up more heat than a smaller one. Check the thread in engine and drivetrain forums, think over 50% of the people voted use GRS...

If your going to change it I'll buy it off you so PM me if you do :D

mate i think it was a tongue in cheek comment. so as i said earlier no figures to back it up, however the gtt replaced my grs and i noticed a slight drop in IAT and a bit quicker to drop once on the move after heating it up

1 - 20 of 60 Posts