MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i was just wondering if anyone has changed the oil in their supercharger? i work with air blower units on a much larger scale than our chargers but still basically exactly the same mechanically.
i know that eaton sell oil specially for the supercharger and i find it hard to beleive that something that is basically gears and bearings and spins at thousands and thousands of rpm can last its entire life with the same oil.
any thoughts o wise ones? :D

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
No it does not last forever - on other cars using the same charger it is replaced at 100,000 but not on the mini -there is no easy fill method -
around 60,000 miles the oil starts to degrade and also leaks can appear

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i see, my charger seems a little noisier than it used to be, i know that the c3 type bearings used in chargers are a lot more rattly as they are designed to allow the heat during high rpm to expand the bearing to the correct tolerances, but i just thought after 75k the oil would be in need of replacement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have to admit i've thought about it, but the oil is about £40 and a day faffing around under the bonnet, but a charger is about £500 i beleive, although i've seen some cheaper on ebay. hmmm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts