MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I broke down on the M25 last week, and RAC diagnosed the problem as supercharger being seized. I have been told by 1320 that it’s not a common way for a supercharger to fail.

After studying a YouTube video, I finally have the supercharger out and on a bench, with the intention of finding the fault and probably more than likely, replace with a reconditioned one.

Did not take long to find the problem at all!!
There is a rogue bolt that looks like it has been sucked in from somewhere and caused the turbines in the SC to jam.

Can anyone tell me how this may have got there? My theory is that it can only have come from the air intake area as it’s on that side. I also found a large split in the underside of the main rubber tube that connects to the air filter housing.

I haven’t checked inside the air filter box yet, as I ran out of time and daylight.

Recently had the clutch replaced, so maybe there was a bolt left somewhere around air intake area?

Any ideas guys?

I’m going to be putting in another supercharger, but I just want to know if there is anything I should be looking for in regards to that nasty bolt that’s somehow gotten in there ! ? !

Attachments

· Registered
1,203 Posts
Very rare for something like that to occur. I don't think there's really anything you can do except for replace the air intake tubing and check your air filter.

It's very possible that the bolt was left when your mechanic worked on it, but proving that is another matter.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah! They are not even responding to my phone calls and messages! Also somehow they have misplaced the skid guard that attaches to the front bumper underneath the car! Nightmare!

Will check the air filter etc and let you know what I find

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.