MINI Cooper Forum banner

Superchip

4K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  Paul 
#1 ·
I have just put my order in today for my ONE and was wondering how you went about getting a Superchip fitted to it ?? If anyone out there could help me I would be most grateful !!!

#2 ·
You should be able to find everything you need at www.superchips.co.uk but be aware that adding the chip will invalidate your warranty and TLC agreements (even though Superchips reckon their chip is 100% undetectable).

I've also seen a few reviews comparing 'before and after' chipped ONE's and they weren't that favourable (I was seriously considering getting it done myself until I read the reviews). You might be able to find the reviews on this site if you stick a 'superchips' search through?

The general gist of the reviews concerned were favourable, although the engine was said to be noisy and it stalled at some junctions due to the revs being a little unpredictable.

#4 ·
Superchip on Mini One - who's done it?

Hi everybody.

I have a Mini One which I really like. Bought it in preference to a Cooper for all the usual cost reasons but mainly because of the insurance - it's in my wife's name and she has only 1 year NCB discount.

Consequently we upped the spec a bit:

Salt Pack
Air Con
Sports Seats
Traction Control
Heated Mirrors and washer jets

I'm now wondering whether to change for a Cooper, but I wonder about the Superchip.

Has anyone had one fitted to a One? If so what difference has it made to insurance (assuming you've told them)? What are the implications for the warranty - can the dealer trell it's been chipped and even then, how concerned are they?

John

G
#7 ·
Dogger said:

I've also seen a few reviews comparing 'before and after' chipped ONE's and they weren't that favourable (I was seriously considering getting it done myself until I read the reviews). You might be able to find the reviews on this site if you stick a 'superchips' search through?

The general gist of the reviews concerned were favourable, although the engine was said to be noisy and it stalled at some junctions due to the revs being a little unpredictable.
in regards to the main question, yes if your thinking about getting a chip read the reviews but make sure your reading the right ones cause dogger read the wrong one. As personal experience i couldn`t drive my car without the chip now as its brill. It makes your car slightly faster at lower revs but when you hit 4000rpm there is a boost at which point you take off where as before you will have realised a lack of high rev/speed performance in the ONE. Let me know how it goes!

G
#8 ·
Hobart said:
Has anyone got feedback after fitting a superchip to a Mini One??

Thereports form SuperChip sound good, bu they would wouldnt they.
the guy i spoke to at superchips isn`t keen on telling the word that the chipped one is amazing because as you said he told me "people will say i just say that as i work here". I`ve only spoke to a few people who had it done and between us all the chip (Stage 2) to be honest is worth the money and i would`ve paid more. to the insurance matter, it is totally undetectable however you recieve a small chip once the work is complete and if you do something and urgently need to get the upgrade totally out the car then all you do is slot it in the port and boom, your old settings are back. as for the stalling at junctions and noise? no stalling on me or anyone i`ve heard from including the superchips car on which everything is tested and you will always recieve a warranty on the chip!

p.s the extra noise is when you hit 4000rpm and the engine purrs and growls like a ferrari, almost anyway!

#10 ·
The chip you get just contains a copy of the original software settings. If you need these put back in for any reason it has to be taken to the super chip dealer and they will do it at no cost. They say that they will also reload the superchip software again at no cost. You cannot slot the chip into the car and do it yourself.

I have just had a phase 2 on my mini one and have increased the output by some 30+ BHP. It goes like a rocket. Very much smoother at low RPM and when the power comes in it is very impressive

#11 ·
Does the chip just plug into a chip carrier/socket in the engine management unit?

Where is the engine management unit in the car, under the bonnet somewhere?

I'm an electronics engineer so would probably like to have a look even if I'm not gonna chip it.

What's your petrol consumption like with the chip?

Cheers,
Ken.

G
#12 ·
KenL said:
Does the chip just plug into a chip carrier/socket in the engine management unit?

Where is the engine management unit in the car, under the bonnet somewhere?

I'm an electronics engineer so would probably like to have a look even if I'm not gonna chip it.

What's your petrol consumption like with the chip?

Cheers,
Ken.

look towards your clutch, then look up at the roof(above the pedals) and they plug their computers in and upload their magic programme. No physical chip is inserted, it`s all new tech, thats partly why its undetectable.

G
#13 ·
Hobart said:
The chip you get just contains a copy of the original software settings. If you need these put back in for any reason it has to be taken to the super chip dealer and they will do it at no cost. They say that they will also reload the superchip software again at no cost. You cannot slot the chip into the car and do it yourself.

i`ll have you know that the chip you recieve simply slots into the port and resets your car back to its original settings, thats why they give you it, otherwise they`d keep it locked away for the time being. do agree with you on the performance upgrade, it`s amazing how much faster the car goes, and fuel consumtion i`ve noticed is the same or slightly better as the management system is improved also.

G
#15 ·
KenL said:
:confused: :confused: :confused:

One of you says you get a chip to replace the superchips one, the other says you don't and the programme is downloaded through the engine diagnostic port.

So I'm well confused.

Anyone from Superchips read this forum ??????
when they install the programme, they plug one of their already made chips (for your specific car) into a small device which is then plugged into your port near the clutch.The programme on the chip is then uploaded using their software and thats it. At the end you will recieve a chip that has an identical port fitting to your car port and can be used by slotting into your car port which resets it back to its old memory(superchips first make a copy of your original settings on ship before they carry their work out). if you can`t understand this then i can only urge you to ask the professionals who work their.

G
#17 ·
Paul_Mullett said:
To clarify (I think eveyone's saying the same thing). The chip is not replaced, it's reprogrammed (remapped). They plug in via the diagnostic port, and upload the new programme.

Sometimes your dealer may wipe it out with a software upgrade, but SuperChips will redo it for you free of charge if that occurs.
i tried to make it sound as simple as you did but well done for that!

#18 ·
bigmik said:

when they install the programme, they plug one of their already made chips (for your specific car) into a small device which is then plugged into your port near the clutch.The programme on the chip is then uploaded using their software and thats it. At the end you will recieve a chip that has an identical port fitting to your car port and can be used by slotting into your car port which resets it back to its old memory(superchips first make a copy of your original settings on ship before they carry their work out). if you can`t understand this then i can only urge you to ask the professionals who work their.

bigmik,

I see your usual good english, keyboard skills and friendly/helpful attitude shining through on this post :rolleyes:

#20 ·
Re: Re: Superchip

Have I got this right? Are you saying that if you have the Superchip fitted you also get a replacement/supplementary chip so that you can put your car back to its original factory settings...i.e. when it goes for service?

John

bigmik said:

the guy i spoke to at superchips isn`t keen on telling the word that the chipped one is amazing because as you said he told me "people will say i just say that as i work here". I`ve only spoke to a few people who had it done and between us all the chip (Stage 2) to be honest is worth the money and i would`ve paid more. to the insurance matter, it is totally undetectable however you recieve a small chip once the work is complete and if you do something and urgently need to get the upgrade totally out the car then all you do is slot it in the port and boom, your old settings are back. as for the stalling at junctions and noise? no stalling on me or anyone i`ve heard from including the superchips car on which everything is tested and you will always recieve a warranty on the chip!

p.s the extra noise is when you hit 4000rpm and the engine purrs and growls like a ferrari, almost anyway!
:confused:

#21 ·
Re: Re: Re: Superchip

jst_at_home said:
Have I got this right? Are you saying that if you have the Superchip fitted you also get a replacement/supplementary chip so that you can put your car back to its original factory settings...i.e. when it goes for service?

John

:confused:
it`s more for emergencies i.e if you write your car off and the insurance doesn`t know about the chip and you need quickly to remove it, services don`t matter as all BMW tests cannot detect it.

#22 ·
bigmik said:

KenL,

not as good as yours though
Why thank you bigmik.

With regard to your message; I see you failed to capitalise your sentence, forgot to put an apostrophe in the word your's and missed your full stop at the end of the sentence.

Are you still at school? I think I better have a word with your grammar teacher. :D :D :D

Regards,
KenL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.