MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Loving his JCW!!!
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Have a JCW on order, at the moment with JCW dealer fit suspension. I am wondering though if I have done the right thing. I do not want to go down any other aftermarket route due to warranty concerns, so its JCW or standard sport suspension.

I am not worried about the JCW kit being too firm - im used to that - but what i was hoping someone might be able to help with is the subjuct of suspension and torque steer. Obviously the JCW suffers from it, but what will be the effect of lowering the car 10mm and firming up the dampers/ springs/ roll bars (as the JCW kit does??). Is this going to make torque steer worse / better / or no different to the standard sport suspension setup. Ive noticed coments in other threads saying that softer suspension is in fact better in masking torque steer.

Some Sound advice would be hugely appreciated :smile:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi. Have a JCW on order, at the moment with JCW dealer fit suspension. I am wondering though if I have done the right thing. I do not want to go down any other aftermarket route due to warranty concerns, so its JCW or standard sport suspension.

I am not worried about the JCW kit being too firm - im used to that - but what i was hoping someone might be able to help with is the subjuct of suspension and torque steer. Obviously the JCW suffers from it, but what will be the effect of lowering the car 10mm and firming up the dampers/ springs/ roll bars (as the JCW kit does??). Is this going to make torque steer worse / better / or no different to the standard sport suspension setup. Ive noticed coments in other threads saying that softer suspension is in fact better in masking torque steer.

Some Sound advice would be hugely appreciated :smile:
Don't know for sure, but all the reports i have read on here and NAM suggest that lowering actually reduces the torque steer. Some of the road test done on the factory works were on std. ( non sport ) suspension and that may be the 'torque steer' issue.

On a side note, i hardly suffer from torque steer at all............well considering it's a powerful FWD small car. Less so than my R53MCS. Maybe the 18" rims are a factor too:confused:

·
Waiting for Works Clubman
338 Posts
)One option is to get the car "standard", and only have the dealer add the JCW setup later when you're sure that you actually want it. I know it doesn't really answer your question, though.

·
Loving his JCW!!!
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
)One option is to get the car "standard", and only have the dealer add the JCW setup later when you're sure that you actually want it. I know it doesn't really answer your question, though.
That would be ideal, but ive negotiated a good price with them, and they'll only give me a discount if I have it fitted before i collect the car - the buggers! Might go for another drive in the demo with sports suspension - i found it to be fine the first time, its just i have that niggling in my head that since im getting the factory works car and spending a fortune on carbon dress up bits, i should go the whole hog with the suspension too!

·
Registered
63 Posts
..., but I've negotiated a good price with them, and they'll only give me a discount if I have it fitted before I collect the car - ...
Probably because they can restock the 'new' components they're pulling off the factory car. I was considering the same option (fitting JCW suspension kit on a new order Cooper) - what discount did you manage to negotiate?

·
Loving his JCW!!!
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably because they can restock the 'new' components they're pulling off the factory car. I was considering the same option (fitting JCW suspension kit on a new order Cooper) - what discount did you manage to negotiate?
They are fitting the suspension kit and springs for £1190. Maybe not a huge discount, but for a Mini Dealer very good. They have told me i can have all the old parts back too.

I think it works out at 15% off the kit, 25% off the springs, and 5% off the fitting. The fitting time on their system is 72AW (6 hours) including the full alignment (1 AW = 5minutes = £8.32excl.VAT). This accounts for £668 alone even at the discounted rate! They are also doing 15% off the JCW strut brace and fitting that FOC (They wanted £60 to fit this - I had to point out that it would take no time at all given that the strut bolts will be out anyway for the suspension fit.)

·
Registered
851 Posts
They are fitting the suspension kit and springs for £1190. Maybe not a huge discount, but for a Mini Dealer very good. They have told me i can have all the old parts back too.
FYI I was quoted £1000 for the suspension kit to be fitted to my S a few months ago but I did not pursue it due to the cost. I guess labour rates vary but that doesn't sound that much of a discount.

·
Loving his JCW!!!
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYI I was quoted £1000 for the suspension kit to be fitted to my S a few months ago but I did not pursue it due to the cost. I guess labour rates vary but that doesn't sound that much of a discount.
They originally quoted me £1295 and that was before they realised the springs were not in the kit and had to be bought seperately, so to me it seemed a good discount, but maybe not then! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've just been quoted £420 inc VAT for dampers and ARBs (suspension kit), £220 for the springs and £630 labour. Total = £1270 fitted.

Worth shopping around then if it varies so much.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I wonder if they will honour the warranty if its installed by anyone other than the dealer....

I'd hate to pay just over £100 per hour in labour charges... :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wonder if they will honour the warranty if its installed by anyone other than the dealer....

I'd hate to pay just over £100 per hour in labour charges... :(
Is there anything that needs to be done with the ECU or special mini tools with the JCW suspension installation? Anything stopping a DIY?

·
Loving his JCW!!!
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there anything that needs to be done with the ECU or special mini tools with the JCW suspension installation? Anything stopping a DIY?
Nothig with the ECU and no special tools so diy installation possible (although i hear the front ARB is a pig to fit - subframe needs lowering). Problem is they then wont cover in the warranty anything that goes wrong with the suspension.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For me, without any doubt, the car behaves better with the works suspension. After so many complains:mad: for the first generation cooper s suspension (no racing people...) the second one generation is much less hardcore and if you are not a racing guy it is comfortable and nice. But... if you are a petrol head torque steer and some strange behaviour when braking will end upseting you. Go for the works suspension kit and things will get much more... errr right!:biggrin:

Cheers

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have the Works suspension on my factory JCW and it transforms the car. The ride is great, even on long distances and it is not too firm. In fact, I would have liked the suspension to have been a lot firmer!

I have not experienced any of this tramlining or torque steer that some magazine reviews mention.

I also had the strut brace fitted at the same time and this is worth considering too.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The car does require coding as the traction control parameters need to be updated. You get a warning sticker on the door frame stating that JCW Sports Suspension has been fitted.

Plus, there is a specific wheel geometry that is different to the stock geometry that is required to be configured after the suspension has been fitted. The wheel geometry parameters are on the installation PDF.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is a bit strange. I was initially told that the install included some coding of the ABS, Traction Control and Stability Systems but when looking at the install instruction it says that no encoding is required.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts