MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my cooper into the dealership yesterday to get some warranty work done to it, including the tire alignment that they did last time but never fixed the shimmying. I got some interresting news back, they said that i must have hit something on my right side! :eek: However i did not! I have abnormal tire wear on the right tire, i knew i had to get new rubber, but didnt know my suspension was messed up!! This is the list they gave me:

1 Right front strut.... $191.00 (CAD for all)
1 Right front steering knuckle.... $154.00
1 Right front wheel bearing....$234.00
1 Axle lock nut.... $6.32
1 8 Spoke Mini Wheel.... $252.00
4 Continental ContiTouring Contact....$115.71 X 4= $462.84
Labour 3.5hrs
Total - $1,232.49!!! WOW!!! :confused:

How could all these parts get dammaged if i havent hit anything??!! I am not sure what I should do now... 1200 is alot of money just to give to them and say fix it.. cause i didnt hit anything?! Can anybody help me with this? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
I would want to see proof of the damage. If you hit something that hard it would have to leave a mark someplace. Had you ever hit something hard enough to cause a tire to loose air? Is the wheel bent?

Make them prove it is damage. Take it to another dealer or repair shop for a second opinion.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bilbo Baggins said:
I would want to see proof of the damage. If you hit something that hard it would have to leave a mark someplace. Had you ever hit something hard enough to cause a tire to loose air? Is the wheel bent?

Make them prove it is damage. Take it to another dealer or repair shop for a second opinion.
I had hit a curb a while back and that caused my tire to pop... I had my car at the dealership and they fixed the tire, so i am sure they would have noticed that my suspension was messed up.
Apparently the wheel is bent, I couldnt see anything, the dealership just told me that.

I dont think that a car carrier would be able to dammage the suspension...
Thanks for the input though..

I am still baffled by this :confused:

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
wait... you just said you hit a curb and popped a tire... that sounds like a pretty hard hit... but in your first post you said you didnt hit anyhting... a burb counts doesnt it? Now I dont know if a Curb can cause that much damage...

·
Registered
765 Posts
Years ago I hit a curb hard but thought nothing of it until I noticed abnormal tyre wear on one of my front wheels. Took the car into the garage and they diagnosed similar damage to yours. I guess you just got your answer.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess that is it then! When i hit the curb... but do you think the dealership should be in fault for it though for not noticing it when i went and got my tire fixed for the first time??? I told them i hit a curb and my tire popped.... they just fixed the tire and said it was good to go...(i dont have runflats)

·
Best Personal Regards
2,022 Posts
I would guess if you had asked them to "inspect the suspension for damage" and they had charged you for it, then maybe they would bear some fault. You would still be out the $ for the parts and such as kerb hits are not covereved by warranty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.