MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to Mini2, so please go easy on me if I'm a bit green!

Me & misses are about to buy a new Cooper, but have a few queries...

1) Residual values - the new mini initially appears good value, but adding any obvious options (standard on many other cars in this bracket) such as alarm, cd, air con soon bumps the price up to worrying levels! We don't believe we can do without alarm, cd, a/c and tlc and the chilli pack is also v.tempting, but will most of this be lost in 3years time come trade in ?

2) Suspension - I've read many previous posts on this site about suspension firmness with the SPS+ suspension. I've driven some v.v.firm riding cars - Hyundai Coupe F2 on directional 225x16x40 profile rubber all round was especially bad... some people say SPS+ is too firm - basically, how's it compare with other cars, e.g. Puma + other hot/warm hatches ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
:cool: Let me get my first FIRST REPLY in.

Residuals for extras depends on usefulness. AC will increase secondhand price, though not a lot, but will definately make it sell better. I doubt sports plus suspension will make any differance. Its not visable and not a big selling point.

I test drove the ONE and COOPER back to back to see if the performance was noticable. Not a lot of differance in engine performance, wouldn't miss it?, but the firmness and handling of the sports suspension was similar to my old Renault 19 16V. That could overtake anything on a roundabout.

Personally I like to drive a car that handles more like my motorcycles. Many will find it too hard if they're used to softer set ups. I get sea sick in some cars that pitch and roll like a pedallo :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree that a firm setup is the business, but you can take it too far... I wished I'd never gone for a limited edition, Hyundai Coupe F2 a couple of years ago....added directional Pirelli P7000 16" 225x16x40 profile tyres all round + beefed up suspension = too too firm, tramlining, and general unruliness when hitting bumps mid bend. It was just too jarring unless you were on a mission to overtake everything on a wet motorway...i.e. massive grip and confidence on a mill pond flat surface, but on anything else it was the pits!

So now, I look for around 50/55 profile tyres for a good combination of grip, lack of side wall flex and looks, oh and comfort. Together and obviously more important a firmish (but, not too silly) suspension package.

From the threads, it sounds to me like the Chilli with 16" + SPS+ is a bit too much on a day to day basis, but maybe it's just people used to softer setups and it'd be okay ?

I think the best thing, is that me & misses test a Chilli Cooper with special attention to the firmness of the ride, if any concerns then go for Chilli with delete SPS+ or Pepper + some of the Chilli kit.

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
PsychoPhil said:
:cool: Let me get my first FIRST REPLY in.

Personally I like to drive a car that handles more like my motorcycles. Many will find it too hard if they're used to softer set ups. I get sea sick in some cars that pitch and roll like a pedallo :D

PhyscoPhil, I totally agree!!! :D

·
Registered
353 Posts
SPS+

I'm a newbie too here - has anyone gone from an MX-5 to a new mini?

I've ordered a Chilli pack with 17" wheels, I know the ride will be firm but I kinda like it that way (I think I will anyway) I like the responsiveness. I read a review of a works Cooper in Mini mag and they said the standard Cooper was more responsive but the 17" wheels REALLY helped cornering stability.

Still don't know if it'll be too hard, I guess I'll have to wait until March 1st :mad: - seems lake ages ago:confused:

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
I've got sps+ and agree it is firm. However, it doesn't bounce and skip all over the road when you hit a bump and there is no body roll at all.

If you imagine that I went from a 1.1 Saxo to the Cooper, the suspension difference was noticeable. You get used to it after a while, and it puts a big smile on your face whenever anything vaguely resembling a bend comes up. It eats roundabouts for breakfast!

My advice, get the sps+, oh, and go slow over speed bumps...

Dom

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have to say, with regards to suspension it really does depend on what you want.

The Sports suspension is not that much harder than normal I prefer it but then I like to be as direct as possible. All I would say is drive one of each (you may have to travel to find a dealer) but until you try you are only taking other peoples word for it. What are they using for reference. Me I am comparing to my subaru and I really like the sports suspension and hate wallowy cars.

Try it before you buy!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I optioned the Cooper without Chilli for the following reasons
1 It only has 115 BHP and it takes a lot more power to unstick 195/55s
2 It handles more progressivly on 175s to the point that slides ( and fun ) are possible at lower speeds.
3 With the Chilli pack when driving "in extremis" it actually took fast bends like a 50p coin ie grip /turn/grip/turn.
4 It's a LOT more comfortable

So try before you option ---- I did, and I don't regret it.
Mike

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
I recently had to brake rather hard from 80mph to 0 on a country road (going round a corner), and I'm quite sure I felt a lot safer with my sps+ than I would with normal suspension.

It might just be me, but I just don't find body roll all that reassuring. Besides, going slow over speed bumps gives people more time to stare ;)

Dom

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm going from an mx-5 to the cooper and I've ordered the sps+ tp try and make the Cooper handle as well as my current baby. I drive 50 miles of twisty country roads each day so I like it to be fun & safe - sps+ shuld do that, plus I doubt it'll be as harsh a ride as my mx-5.:p

·
Registered
44 Posts
my 17"s with SPS

Steve,

Hope you get a chance to read this so long after you posted. Can I say I was tempted to post earlier but didn't want to be influenced

I picked up COSI MEE on the 19th Dec and have 17" SPS on a Cooper. I'm used to much softer suspension and pride myself on a smooth driving style. I have had to adjust and learn to appreciate my MINI's unique handling and ride.

But wow it's worth it! In nearly 20yrs of driving this is the most fantastic car, my Saab 95 sport was awesome but this cheeky, beautiful, happy (people just grin at you!) car.

I wouldn't change my set-up the 17" alloys with SPS are just :eek: well for this thread the dogs well lets just say the Vet can't have them:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts