MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to Mini2, so please go easy on me if I'm a bit green!

Me & misses are about to buy a new Cooper, but have a few queries...

1) Residual values - the new mini initially appears good value, but adding any obvious options (standard on many other cars in this bracket) such as alarm, cd, air con soon bumps the price up to worrying levels! We don't believe we can do without alarm, cd, a/c and tlc and the chilli pack is also v.tempting, but will most of this be lost in 3years time come trade in ?

2) Suspension - I've read many previous posts on this site about suspension firmness with the SPS+ suspension. I've driven some v.v.firm riding cars - Hyundai Coupe F2 on directional 225x16x40 profile rubber all round was especially bad... some people say SPS+ is too firm - basically, how's it compare with other cars, e.g. Puma + other hot/warm hatches ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree that a firm setup is the business, but you can take it too far... I wished I'd never gone for a limited edition, Hyundai Coupe F2 a couple of years ago....added directional Pirelli P7000 16" 225x16x40 profile tyres all round + beefed up suspension = too too firm, tramlining, and general unruliness when hitting bumps mid bend. It was just too jarring unless you were on a mission to overtake everything on a wet motorway...i.e. massive grip and confidence on a mill pond flat surface, but on anything else it was the pits!

So now, I look for around 50/55 profile tyres for a good combination of grip, lack of side wall flex and looks, oh and comfort. Together and obviously more important a firmish (but, not too silly) suspension package.

From the threads, it sounds to me like the Chilli with 16" + SPS+ is a bit too much on a day to day basis, but maybe it's just people used to softer setups and it'd be okay ?

I think the best thing, is that me & misses test a Chilli Cooper with special attention to the firmness of the ride, if any concerns then go for Chilli with delete SPS+ or Pepper + some of the Chilli kit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.