MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Riding on JCW power!
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have now done ~1800 miles in my 05 MCS and I have a subject I would like to discuss.

Firstly, I do love the car, however, what have they done to the suspension? It wallows a lot more than the 52 plate I test drove 6 months ago and probably more than the 53 plate I test drove at the dealers. Front end grip is still superb but the back seems more 'mobile' and there is more body roll, it means you feel less conmitted in the twisties. I'm hoping fitting x-lites will partly resolve this.

I'm well aware of the change to the sports suspension in March 03, however, was this done so they were able to offer a new product in the form of the recently announced 'JCW suspension' kit.

I'm also surprised that EVO magazine have not commented on this as they have had a 52 plate S and 53 plate JCW.

It has now made me think............do I go and get the JCW suspension at yet more cost, or attempt to have the 2002 sports suspension retrofitted fitted, or accept it and get on with it?

TBH it's a bit of a dissapointment and i'm not sure about committing to the 210 JCW.

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Davislove3rd said:
I have now done ~1800 miles in my 05 MCS and I have a subject I would like to discuss.

Firstly, I do love the car, however, what have they done to the suspension? It wallows a lot more than the 52 plate I test drove 6 months ago and probably more than the 53 plate I test drove at the dealers. Front end grip is still superb but the back seems more 'mobile' and there is more body roll, it means you feel less conmitted in the twisties. I'm hoping fitting x-lites will partly resolve this.

I'm well aware of the change to the sports suspension in March 03, however, was this done so they were able to offer a new product in the form of the recently announced 'JCW suspension' kit.

I'm also surprised that EVO magazine have not commented on this as they have had a 52 plate S and 53 plate JCW.

It has now made me think............do I go and get the JCW suspension at yet more cost, or attempt to have the 2002 sports suspension retrofitted fitted, or accept it and get on with it?

TBH it's a bit of a dissapointment and i'm not sure about committing to the 210 JCW.
The change was just the strut valving.
There's probably a ton of old struts lying about in garages across the UK to be had for cheap.
Just a thought.
Don't know about the JCW stuff. Probably just the '02 components :eek: :rolleyes: :D

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
The change really has effected the rear end :(
I honestly don't think the x-lites improve the situation. My last MCS had them but my first MCS had s-spokes with the older suspension set-up and it handled far better.
The MINI has too much of a BMW feel to it now :rolleyes:

·
the DASH LIGHT king ? ;)
485 Posts
a wallowy s paul ?? flippin heck ive got a jan 03 mcs and its awsome round the twisty in the dry....handles better than my old car which had 800 quids worth of HK sus on it ! i cant imagine it been better than it already is :eek: maybe im in need of being co-pilot in sumones modded car :p

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
2BAR_G40 said:
a wallowy s paul ?? flippin heck ive got a jan 03 mcs and its awsome round the twisty in the dry....handles better than my old car which had 800 quids worth of HK sus on it ! i cant imagine it been better than it already is :eek: maybe im in need of being co-pilot in sumones modded car :p
They changed the setup in mid 2003, I've got a July 2003 build. It sucks compared to the old (in my opinion).

·
the DASH LIGHT king ? ;)
485 Posts
oh rite ! now thats opened my eyes alittle.....

makes u wonder y they mess around with updating things when there was nothing wrong in the first place :confused:

in that case i urge everyone to have pre july 2003 shocks etc !!! :cool: :rolleyes:

i can see Davislove3rd point now :(

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
2BAR_G40 said:
oh rite ! now thats opened my eyes alittle.....

makes u wonder y they mess around with updating things when there was nothing wrong in the first place :confused:

in that case i urge everyone to have pre july 2003 shocks etc !!! :cool: :rolleyes:

i can see Davislove3rd point now :(
People were whining about the rough ride.
Seems they thought they were buying some sponge ride luxo barge :rolleyes:

I still see the posts here. Makes me wonder what they test drove :rolleyes:

·
Riding on JCW power!
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Paul Mullett said:
I've got some '02 dampers AND Eibachs to go on my wallowy S now. :D Can't wait.

:D

Paul, where did you get the 02 dampers from? can eibach springs fit ok on these dampers as I take they are shorter? would all of this fit on a 05 MCS?

·
the DASH LIGHT king ? ;)
485 Posts
obehave said:
Seems they thought they were buying some sponge ride luxo barge :rolleyes:
:D :D :D he he...my mrs does complain about the ride been harsh "ooooeeerrr" but she does have a mini one, and i drive mine like a cars meant to be driven....its a bugger for the newer minis having "softer" suspension tho, yet in the future i maybe in a zimmer due to stiff suspension and the rest of u will be ok lol :rolleyes:

·
the DASH LIGHT king ? ;)
485 Posts
Davislove3rd said:
Paul, where did you get the 02 dampers from? can eibach springs fit ok on these dampers as I take they are shorter? would all of this fit on a 05 MCS?
i beleive they go straight on matey :)

and im sure someone on mini2 said they were bmw approved the eibachs???

they are VERY GOOD in my honest opinion ;)

·
Registered
884 Posts
Heavier swaybars may be the ticket to cut out some of the "wallows" in the twisties.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.