MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey boys I will swap facelift gearbox into my 02 Cooper S. Do I need any special parts or are all 02 parts OK?

Bye

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe do you know the marks for pre and facelift gearbox? Just to make sure it's the right one. It's from the 09/04 car but you never know what people making with their cars. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Question: old MCS had longer gears: why, because of the different gearbox or of the different final drive ratio?
If I got an old MCS (163hp) gearbox, would I have longer gears than now?
Thanks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Question: old MCS had longer gears: why, because of the different gearbox or of the different final drive ratio?
If I got an old MCS (163hp) gearbox, would I have longer gears than now?
Thanks.
And which MCS do you have (year and month?).

As I know the final drive ratio is different and also 1.st and 2.nd gear are different.

The sixth is still long enough to use all my horsepowers. Read it's go more than 250kmh.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the final gear is different all gears became different. But also first and second are much more shorter then others.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Be clear guys please!

Do you have ALL speeds of 170HP and of 163HP ?

If they are proportional the difference is in the final ratio, if some are similar and some are different (or they are all different in a different way) the gearbox is different.

Edit: Just checked link by Brainycheddar and seems the difference is the gearbox.
Thanks!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Did you put the newer 5-speed or 6-speed in your car?

OK, stupid question. You said it was a Cooper S. Sorry

·
Registered
68 Posts
Was it worth the cost?

From my reckoning, it would cost @ £5-600 for the gearbox & parts + £400 for the labour to fit.

Is it worth not just spending a grand elsewhere on the car?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts