MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dunlop SP 9000, 205/45R17 have 2mm left on the front & 6mm on the back only having covered 6700 miles!
Has anybody experienced problems with swapping the front with the back?
I don't think I will go with the RF's again, but don't want to mix RF's with Non RF's, or is there no problem?
What's the best tyre recommendation for 17's?

·
Sotherner up north
1,221 Posts
6.7k seems low - my runflats have 3mm (front) & 6mm (rear) left after 18k miles - mind you I have the 16s, but that should not make such a dramatic difference.

Mark :indi:

·
owt else is just traffic
1,462 Posts
I know people say not to mix the runflats and non runflats but i did.When my front pair wore out(9500miles) i had some new Bridgestone potenzas.I put them on the back and put the runflats on the front.My thinking for putting them on the front was that i figured that if i did have a puncture the runflats might aswell be on the driving and steering wheels and i had read that with the runflats being a harder ,stronger sidewalled tyre,if they were on the back and you had soft non runflats on the front that it might promote oversteer.I figured that if i put the potenzas on the back instead then perhaps it would create a little understeer which, of the two is safer.I had no problems and since then i have swapped the other two to non runflats when they wore out.I will say that i was expecting a bigger difference in ride quality when i swapped but was dissapointed in this respect.I got the potenzas for £100 each as opposed to the £167 each that i was being quoted for the pirelli euphoria runflats.I have made sure that on my new for september 05 MINI ONE i have ordered the spare wheel for peace of mind.At the moment i'm relying on the a can of the mousse/gunky stuff.Roll on september.

·
Registered
581 Posts
cymrucoopers said:
Cheers Guys,
I think I'll go with you zyo. Put the RF's on the front & replace the back with non RF's.
Now I need to find some tyrs that I'm hapy with.

I had a really confusing conversation with my dealer yesterday, who said that as I have runflats on at present I can only fit runflats ?? I'll do a more in detail post here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had a quote from a friend who runs a tyre place & I've got the Pirelli Eufori's for £108 fitted!
My dealer wanter £170 for the Dunlops!
Going to get them fitted on Friday. At least then I'm keping RF's all round. I can also try & get more out of these tyres than the Dunlops!
Wrenny, check this link out from Pirelli :-http://www.pirelli.co.uk/en_GB/tyres/car_suv/euforia/faq_euforia_gb.jhtml
They say that you can mix tyres, but not on the same axle. They do recommend that you change all 4!

·
Registered
581 Posts
cymrucoopers said:
Had a quote from a friend who runs a tyre place & I've got the Pirelli Eufori's for £108 fitted!
My dealer wanter £170 for the Dunlops!
Going to get them fitted on Friday. At least then I'm keping RF's all round. I can also try & get more out of these tyres than the Dunlops!
Wrenny, check this link out from Pirelli :-http://www.pirelli.co.uk/en_GB/tyres/car_suv/euforia/faq_euforia_gb.jhtml
They say that you can mix tyres, but not on the same axle. They do recommend that you change all 4!
thanks...I have decided to buy the dunlops from a linked site here..coolnewmini they sell dunlops at £89 quid a piece, just need to pay for local fitting.

adios

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Hum....

I'd say throw away the dunlops all together and get either some Avon ZZ3's or Toyo's! You'll never look back with grip and traction in the wet. But im amazed you've got through the run flats so quick as normally there a bit harder......hum....... Im thinking someones nocked the tracking or someones got a really heavy foot with no traction control..... lol! :D

For those in the UK..... http://www.topgear.co.uk cheapest place ive found for tyres and brought a few pairs from them!

·
Registered
581 Posts
well I have sold the car now so buyer can replace.

Had some great times....... :D

adios

·
almost 59k
5,117 Posts
cymrucoopers said:
My Dunlop SP 9000, 205/45R17 have 2mm left on the front & 6mm on the back only having covered 6700 miles!
Has anybody experienced problems with swapping the front with the back?
I don't think I will go with the RF's again, but don't want to mix RF's with Non RF's, or is there no problem?
What's the best tyre recommendation for 17's?
that does seem pretty early. i swapped my dunlops front to back at 10k im still running on 2 of the original tires (other two had punctures) at 25k miles....

i think swapping front to back can extend the tire liftetime, however the main problem will be all 4 tires are worn out at the same time....

most people i know are using toyo proxy's that have swapped from non-rf..

·
Now answering to Lady J!
10,271 Posts
I am on the Dunlops and my front two need replacing soon - I have only done around 8,000 miles so again not very much. Must be the way I drive!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
wildchild jules
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing