MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I’m new to here so apologies in advance if I have posted in the incorrect place.

I have a 2016 Cooper D 50k miles the car intermittently loses power around 60mph and takes a few seconds to pick up over 2k revs.

It has been into a main dealer several times and they advised they have replaced the actuator as “goodwill”. The problem is still occurring therefore I asked an independent garage to have a look.

It has come up with the following:
Swirl flaps actuator mechanically faulty (lever broken)

Swirl flap mechanical fault during adaptation

The car has been out of warranty since March 19 and the repair was being done as goodwill as the car had been in the garage several times and come out with other faults.

The auxiliary belt was change courtesy of Mini Uk in September this was picked up after the car went in for an exhaust pressure sensor and the car hasn’t been the same since.

In summer last year I was advised it was overheating and this was rectified under warranty.

I would appreciate any advice is it worth repairing or time to get rid.

I have the opportunity to px for a 2019 petrol 1 series.

·
Registered
6,248 Posts
sounds to me there's more going on with it, ie they are seeing the outcome to a problem around the dpf filter and carbon build up on inlet manifold and vnt on the turbo as well,, the exhaust pressure sensors tend to throw a faulty code when things gets blocked up,, 50.000 miles of slow low revs drives short trips dont let it all get nice and hot ie 10 miles min and driven more over 2000 revs than under is what keeps the system clean,, also timing chain stretch on those n47 diesels and flag up all kinds of running codes when do linked to soot and dpf filter as well, and swirl flaps and egr valve all get a kicking of it all, personally i would trade out of it before it gets really expensive i promise you it will do they all do, if not doing many miles and mainly town driving stick to petrol best way,, the bmw petrol 1 series some share engines with mini as such, the n46 petrol 2.0 litre were trouble on many levels

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. I do both motorway and general driving daily.
The 1 series I’m looking at is the 118 reg June 19. How do I find which engine this is? I generally do 12k per year. Thank you again for your reply it’s appreciated.

·
Registered
6,248 Posts
This model year of BMW 118i is powered by a 1.5-liter, turbocharged, three-cylinder that develops 134 horsepower at just 4,400 rpm (that's very diesel-like, even though you can rev the engine out to 6,000 rpm), while its peak torque of 220 Nm (162 pound-feet) arrives between 1,250 - 4,300 rpm.19 Mar 2019
will be bmw own engine, if you could run to a hybrid prob best future bet maybe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you I’m unable to afford a hybrid atm. I’ve been offered £6500 px against £18k bmw shadow edition

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I went ahead with a repair how much would I be looking at roughly? The auxiliary belt was “dropping” an orange coloured powder sorry I forgot what Mini told me.

·
Registered
6,248 Posts
Thank you I’m unable to afford a hybrid atm. I’ve been offered £6500 px against £18k bmw shadow edition
i'f were me i would get out of that mini diesel asap i have seen many people get a shock when they go wrong ith timing chains being main issue, its a £1800 bill to replace one, and if dont catch it before it snaps or slips its £4k plus bill

·
Registered
6,248 Posts
orange colour power is the residue from dpf filter, genuine filter £800 plus labour plus diagnostics and reset etc £1500 maybe at 50.000 miles your not far away from when those n47 diesels throw chains as well

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Timeline of events:
June-Service carried out advised aux belt to be replaced by Mini uk (work completed)
July- Warning light shows exhaust pressure sensor replacement (completed)
I wasn’t able to collect car as garage said loss of power
Jan 2020- swirl flap actuator replaced “goodwill” by main dealer
Feb 2020 fault codes showing
Argh I hate cars 🙈 my previous mini (2011) was a dream in comparison 😊

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you I’ll have a look now scary how many things have gone wrong in such a short space of tome it’s like a domino effect

·
Registered
6,248 Posts
Thank you I’ll have a look now scary how many things have gone wrong in such a short space of tome it’s like a domino effect
yep they are treating the outcome and not the problem going by that,, ie they dont have a clue and their diagnostics shows poor readings for these components,,, ie if chain is stretched which it will be makes engine run retarded and effects fuelling and dpf regen as well,, this will all amplify the dpf filter being blocked will prevent the system from doing a regen and its turns in to a circle and most techs get lost with in it , below link good read on dpf

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi thank you for the info. I’ve had a call from the dealership and they advised the problem is with the intake manifold. They are going to contact Mini Uk to see if it can be sorted as goodwill.

·
Registered
6,248 Posts
Hi thank you for the info. I’ve had a call from the dealership and they advised the problem is with the intake manifold. They are going to contact Mini Uk to see if it can be sorted as goodwill.
chances are the swirl flaps have snapped off for a reason, the reason being the egr valve bleeds off in to the inlet manifold as does the crankcase breather so the soot mixes with the oil vapour and sticking to inlet manifold especially around the swirl flaps and builds up this then makes then stick and the actuator keeps pushing and snaps the plastic off ,, what adds to this is dpf filter partially blocked causes more back pressure that also adds to the build up,, the m47 engine ie the engine before what yours is had same issue and the swirl flaps would snap off and get ingested in to engine and destroy it,, was a common things to delete them i've done many of the years,, reason there are there is to agitate the air as it enters the ports to help fuel mix on injection stroke,, so they could run a very lean mixture on idle for emissions,, reality is dont make much difference just causes trouble down the road, below link shows delete

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’ve just had a look at the video- thanks. I’ve had the aux belt replaced, pressure sensor, swirl flap actuator and hopefully the manifold. Anything else likely to die apart from timing chain? 😭

·
Registered
6,248 Posts
dpf filters tend to do around 100k the egr valves can play up on short trips cars as can dpf filters,, its nuts the whole idea of diesel is good mpg due to low revs but the emissions fitted rubbish forces people to drive with more revs to prevent filter clogging and bang goes the mpg..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mini have agreed to pay for the manifold @ £544 and I pay the £285 labour. Fingers crossed all should be ok!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just an update, the intake manifold was replaced yesterday and feels like a new car! Thank you again for the advice. Now time to look at px it ☺

·
Registered
6,248 Posts
Just an update, the intake manifold was replaced yesterday and feels like a new car! Thank you again for the advice. Now time to look at px it ☺
deffo time to avoid the next level with it, its a shame as the n47 pulls really well but has that stupid chain at rear of engine its just a insult to the owner dont need to be like that. the m47 before it was a peach really strong i had one for 5 years 230bhp at wheels 3 series compaq i put 150k on t never missed a beat and it was driven fairly hard most of the time,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts