MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need some advice on how to get rid of swirl marks and scratches. I've tried polishes and waxes like zymol and scratch x, but do not seem to work very well. I am considering using a professional detailer but how much should it cost to remove swirls that appear all over my black roof? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
I cant help with the cost but I've been working on our MINI One's black roof to get rid of "bird marks" etc and body scrub, followed with scratch-x on the more serious marks (and some elbow grease) have done a very good job. How did these swirls and scratches get there (the roof) in the first place?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's odd, how the swirl marks got there. I used a car cover for awhile and noticed that swirls started forming. I stopped using the cover. Then scratches came from bird droppings and my stupid friend threw a football and skimmed the roof. It looks so ugly in the sunlight..... swirls galore. I hate it. Plus someone keyed my hood! But i will soon buy a carbon fiber one :D. Anyway thanks for the advice. Is zaino available to purchase in stores like kragen or autozone?

·
Registered
43 Posts
oo7dw:

Use 3M swirl mark remover after washing the car. It works great and is a product that is used by the Zaino guys. Z5 will only fill very minor swirl marks at best. I had the same problem with my Indi blue MCS. After talking to the zaino guys they suggested for deeper swirl marks to use 3M swirl mark remover as "Z5 really does not contain alot of fillers". After that I would apply a coat of 3M hand glaze for dark colored cars and then a couple of coats of Z2. The last coat on the paint should be Z2. One thing about the hand glaze do not apply it in direct sunlight.

:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kool, thanks alot for all the suggestions. Time to repair my poor car... Wish me luck. Thanks again.

·
Registered
133 Posts
When polishing or waxing your car you should be using a randum orbital polisher. It eliminates the chance of leaving swirl marks. It also makes the whole job easier and faster.
I also agree that the 3M swirl remover works great. :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'll agree, too: 3M swirl remover, especially with a random orbital buffer, followed by Zaino, will work wonders. We recently bought a 2000 Miata and, with a bit of time and care, it now looks brand new. Lots of good care-car tips here.

Mark

·
owt else is just traffic
1,462 Posts
I had an all black MINI ONE and could never get rid of the swirls and scratches until i used Scratch x(does that sound like an advert).I know you say you have used it but i've found i got different results with it.I had a big round car sponge that i used to put the scratch x onto the car,it didn't state on the tube whether i should rub in straight lines or a circular motion after trial and error i found that it worked in a circular motion for me.The 100% terry towelling for wiping it off makes the difference aswell.I had tried using dusters when i first recieved the scratch x cos i hadn't got any terry towelling to hand and i was too impatient to go and get some,it didn't seem to work very well and i was resigned to the fact that this was another product that didn't do what i was expecting it to but fortunately after getting the right stuff for the job i found it to be very impressive.

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
zyo said:
I had an all black MINI ONE and could never get rid of the swirls and scratches until i used Scratch x(does that sound like an advert).I know you say you have used it but i've found i got different results with it.I had a big round car sponge that i used to put the scratch x onto the car,it didn't state on the tube whether i should rub in straight lines or a circular motion after trial and error i found that it worked in a circular motion for me.The 100% terry towelling for wiping it off makes the difference aswell.I had tried using dusters when i first recieved the scratch x cos i hadn't got any terry towelling to hand and i was too impatient to go and get some,it didn't seem to work very well and i was resigned to the fact that this was another product that didn't do what i was expecting it to but fortunately after getting the right stuff for the job i found it to be very impressive.
Yes, I used Scratch-X on my black BMW ("Bert") and it worked miracles. It even took off paint scrapes left by some jack-azz when getting out of his car and hitting my door. Give that a shot, and if it doesn't work for you, the professional detailer is the next step.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Is the paint on the black roof very soft as I am getting a Cooper s in DS/B and dreading getting swirl marks on the roof. For those who have black roofs, would you get it again? I was in two minds as to whether to get DS/DS...!

The best way to avoid them I guess would be to apply a few coatings of decent wax..

·
Registered
104 Posts
Zaino Z5 may be OK for very, very, very superficial swirl marks, but I don't rate it that highly (rest of Zaino line-up is fantastic).....3M swirl remover is much better:

try www.autopia.org

for the opinion of expert auto detailers....................................

·
Slippery When Wet
2,556 Posts
Is it possible to do any additional damage with Scratch-X due to user error? I have some scratches on my Cooper that I want to fix, but I'm kind of afraid to go at it myself. :confused:

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
ImaVunDerBrah said:
Is it possible to do any additional damage with Scratch-X due to user error? I have some scratches on my Cooper that I want to fix, but I'm kind of afraid to go at it myself. :confused:
I don't think so. It's pretty foolproof. I used it, then used it some more, and used it hard too. Brilliant!!! Of course, if you use it and it doesn't seem to be working the first or second time around, then you need a detailer.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Paul Mullett said:
I cant help with the cost but I've been working on our MINI One's black roof to get rid of "bird marks" etc and body scrub, followed with scratch-x on the more serious marks (and some elbow grease) have done a very good job. How did these swirls and scratches get there (the roof) in the first place?
i've got some bird droppings on my bonnet which probably was there for an unknown time (around a week or so since it was raining for the whole week and it was a small spot i couldn't see it or had a chance to clean it off)
now the bonnet got this tiny yellowish mark (i have a pepper white car btw) that looks like its on top of the paint by when using ur hand to feel it you can't
i've tried the scratch X and the clay bar but didn't want to rub too hard causing further damage such as scratches.. so the scratch X should work if i rub harder?? please give some advice, thanks.

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
erichui said:
i've got some bird droppings on my bonnet which probably was there for an unknown time (around a week or so since it was raining for the whole week and it was a small spot i couldn't see it or had a chance to clean it off)
now the bonnet got this tiny yellowish mark (i have a pepper white car btw) that looks like its on top of the paint by when using ur hand to feel it you can't
i've tried the scratch X and the clay bar but didn't want to rub too hard causing further damage such as scratches.. so the scratch X should work if i rub harder?? please give some advice, thanks.
The Scratch-X works best after two full applications. Rub it in good, both in swirls and back-and-forth. The beginning stage will file down the blemish, but the second stage will actually buff and polish. You have to continue rubbing it in well for this to happen. The Scratch-X will not cause further scratches.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Scratch X works fine with me. Have a red MCS, and stupidly put it through a local car wash. Came out all swirled and a few scratches. Only had the car 2 months. Gone is the 'pure' factory finish.

Wrong time of year to be bothering about fully polishing the car, but used Scratch X on the worst bits and the marks seem to have gone. Another full scale scratch X treatment and good polish should deal with the problem.

Really bad scratches can be polished out at an accident repair outfit, i nthe worst case scenario.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts