MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I'm currently driving an '07 R56 Cooper petrol in Chilli Red.

I'm looking to switch to a newer model to grab a few extra features, plus the improved economy of the stop start etc..

I'm going for Pepper White/Black and there are 2 that fit the bill at a decent price at my local main dealers.

Now, one of them is a cooper D. Never driven a diesel but obviously they have that reputation of being noisy and 'tractor-like'.

I'm off to test drive both on Friday, but what are other peoples opinions?

-Anyone switched from petrol to diesel?
- Just how noisy are the engines?
- Any other upsides/downsides I should consider?

All advice greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a Cooper D while my Cooper was getting a Warranty repair. It was awesome I was so impressed with the Torque and acceleration compared to petrol Cooper Would definately consider next time,

The engine noise wasn't to bad well worth putting up with for mid range Torque and fuel economy.

Test drive and you will see what I mean good luck with your new mini.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have just gone the other way sort of, I swapped in my Dooper for a MCS. (But thats because I am going through a Mid-life crisis, well thats my wifes verdict):aargh:

The diesels are not noisy, a little louder than a petrol but thats all.
Due to the torque the Dooper will be a much more relaxed drive.
Away from the lights the Cooper is marginal faster, but on the open roads a Cooper will not keep up with a Dooper and the even driven hard the Dooper will always return figures in to the 40's.
Driven sensibly, 75mph on maotorways the Dooper will return mid 60's, driven at 60mph it will go into the 70's, and thats from experience.
+ road tax for Dooper is currently £35 a year, but from April it will drop to £20.

·
MINI Jaffa Cake
167 Posts
Yeah I went from petrol to diesel, no looking back now. The torque is awesome :)

Done a 70 mile round trip for a job interview recently - 76 mpg. cant argue with that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
DO IT! Dooper is awesome - bags of torque, pulls away really well, get the revs up and they fly!

Cheap road tax, great fuel economy, quicker than a Cooper, and quiet - why wouldn't you get one?

Seriously, you won't find many with a bad word to say about the Dooper :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
my MCS (6 speed manual) was being repaired and mini lent me a diesel (automatic) - had it for a few days. so happy to have my S back - agree the D is very quick but it was definitely noisier than my S. the D has better fuel economy. i suggest asking for a test drive over night or weekend if they offer before you choose. but then i love my mini S so i'm probably biased :) !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts