MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if any had any troubles with the new Mini (BMW) Key?

Last week it just stopped working. Had to use the normal locking mechanism for a whole week :rolleyes: .
Now that's been a while using a real key for opening the doors.

Anyway today the service adviser looked at my problem. He went in to my MCS. Did something...
(Didn't pay any attention while looking at another Cooper). Then he came out and the remote worked again.
???? :confused: ????
He told me he had re-synchronized the key with the car. The key was out of sync??
I could be pressing the switch every time I put the keys in my pants pocket. It is a large key with quite a sensitive locking button. Luckily the open button is a bit concealed (more pressure needed).

Does anyone know what he did ? And can I do it myself ?
Don't want to drive to the dealer again when it happens again (fingers crossed, knocked on a lot of woods)

Other than this, my DS/B 05 MCS is running excellent. I got only much more familiar with the local petrol station. Normally I see them only once in two weeks. Now I see them every week. I take too many detours when I go home!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Bit of a complicated progess, it involves opening and closing the drivers door, sitting in with the door closed but in the open lock state, turning the ignition to the acc position, then off, remove the key, hold down the unlock button for 3 seconds, and then while holding the unlock button, press the lock button three times, the central locking will then lock and unlock and the key is coded.

Owen.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ned78 said:
Bit of a complicated progess, it involves opening and closing the drivers door, sitting in with the door closed but in the open lock state, turning the ignition to the acc position, then off, remove the key, hold down the unlock button for 3 seconds, and then while holding the unlock button, press the lock button three times, the central locking will then lock and unlock and the key is coded.

Owen.
Thanks Owen,

Now that is fun !?!??! :D
I don't think my service adviser would tell me this on the phone.

If I do anything wrong in this whole routine, would I damage or mess up anything in my MCS ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Owen, thanks for posting the key sync steps. Is this the complete sequence? I just tried it on my 1 month old key remote (which has stopped working) and nothing happened. Maybe my key battery has discharged but that seems unlikely as I've used the one key every day since I got the car. And the second key, which has never been used, works fine. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
362 Posts
My Audi used to loose synchronisation every now and then. I used to lock and unlock the door with the metal key, press the lock and unlock buttons a few times and it all came to life.

I cannot see you doing any damage.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Owen.
Interesting, both my keys stopped working yesterday and I tried this method but nothing happened. Is there a special trick to getting it to work?

·
Pauly
2 Posts
Interesting, both my keys stopped working yesterday and I tried this method but nothing happened. Is there a special trick to getting it to work?
My key stopped working for the first time in 5 years yesterday - did this process and it worked perfectly. Thanks! :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Both my Keys stopped working today, used the method to re-program and it worked a treat - Many thanks

BTW - the car is celebrating it's sixth birthday the day after tomorrow, call me cynical but is this a built in fault requiring a trip to the dealers??

·
Registered
62 Posts
Both my Keys stopped working today, used the method to re-program and it worked a treat - Many thanks

BTW - the car is celebrating it's sixth birthday the day after tomorrow, call me cynical but is this a built in fault requiring a trip to the dealers??
Bit of an update to my problem........

I have two keys, when I syncronise one the other stops working, will work with either key but not both at the same time!!??

Any ideas??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bit of an update to my problem........

I have two keys, when I syncronise one the other stops working, will work with either key but not both at the same time!!??

Any ideas??
Hi all.
I Know this is an old thread but I've been searching through all key fob faults and this one is the same for me, any answers out there ?
I can program one key and that key works 100%, then I program the other key and that works 100% but the other one stops unlocking and locking the car but will still start it !!!
Anyone know the answer ?
Steve G.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts