MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would have swear that before yesterday, the red lights on my tachometer started at about 5,500 RPMs.

Yesterday, I had a 'friendly' traffic light to traffic light acceleration test with a BMW Series 3 M. During the 'test', I think I might have gone over 6,000 RPM a couple of times, particularly when going up to 2nd and 3rd. The test ended, we both 'nodded friendly' and I got home

This morning I turned on the car and the red lights threshold is close to the 6,500-7,000 RPM. It is like several of the 'always on' red lights have moved up 1,000 RPMs or more. Is this normal? Does it has to do with my test? Is there something wrong with the tachometer? or with the car?

I drove my Mini to work this morning and no problems whatsoever. The engine sounds ok and nothing else that the tachometer seems to have changed

:dark:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
RedUn said:
none of my minis or mini's I have driven did this
I've never really paid attention that closely, i'm not sure I notice an extra light illuminated or not as the case may be. I'm pretty sure mine doesn't do that but its a 2003 model so i wasn't sure if the new ones have taken a leaf out of the 3 series's book. Its a great idea which reduces engine wear. I don't take mine past 3000rpm until its warmed up.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Lucky Dave said:
The first few red markings on the rev counter dont light up red!

So they look different at night to day.
Yeah i know the first few don't. It would make sense for BMW to put this variable redline function on the Mini purely because they're so fun to drive hard!

Someone I know, I won't name names, thought that those lights were his service lights and that when they were all lit up it was time for a trip to the dealers! Hahahaha!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.