MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
BarWeetGarNarWeetNinnyBon
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get this all the time... some banger on your tail, right up your backside, showing that they can keep up with you... and when you let them over-take they look at you with a 'I achieved something look'

Pity they still look sh*t!

·
Registered
507 Posts
That never happens to me. I only get inflictive looks and confusing gestures when I overtake people who are doing 35 mph on an open country road. :rolleyes: Those who really get me going are skulkers and those ignorants who are already swamped with keeping their own car under control without paying attention to the traffic around them.

Klaus

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
If I get someone right up the back end, I ease off the gas. Not ridiculously slow but I ease off. If they're going to push me, I'll make them have to do it for longer (hence slowing their journey down)

The other alternative is drop to 2nd from 5 and floor it.. :D

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Yeah I had a tailgater over the weekend on a duel carriage A road. He was in a crappy Clio and was a youngish guy who thought it would be clever. I was going 80ish anyway :eek: and he kind of forced me preasured me to pull away from him by the end i was going 97mph so I slowed down. He was in a 1.6 basic like me MINI one so all his acceloration was exactly the same as mine so he couldn't get away from me either. Idiot.

It was just so dangerous and especially on a road that cuts through country side, bendy and with junctions all the time that sort of behaviour is not on! I could tell he was going to be a plonker when he tried swerving past me on a point where the lanes go from two to one. Then he was stuck in a no overtaking zone. Ha Ha went about 30 in a 50 zone just to :bad::bad::bad::bad: him off! Road rage is not a good thing at all!

·
In my perfect MINI world
371 Posts
Having only picked up MCS last Thursday evening, I cannot speak from much experience. But, I have noticed MUCH more taunting behavior from other drivers (mostly in rice burning vehicles) since starting to motor.

As for tailgaters, letting pressure off of the accelerator some tends to make me feel better. If they show me their high beams, I show them my brake lights (fair is fair after all).

·
Registered
188 Posts
flashing is a sign to say to let them pass. If you are driving slow or sorta slow then I personally think that you should let the person pass. Allowing someone to tailgate you and angering them does not help the situation. Also I'm sure everybody has felt the frustration of driving behind a really slow person especially when they are in a rush. I myself have seen a few accidents occur because of slow driving so, next time instead of angering the person just let them go and get on with your day.

i have to say though that i've never been tailgated. I dont drive highway much, so I guess it doesnt leave room for much tailgating to happen. Always traffic signals to control everything.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I understand you Mataku :), but here in Britain, we have a lot of narrow roads here in the UK. IF that particular road is a 40mph road and there is two way traffic or no opportunity to pass, there is no way in hell I'm going to let ANY person push me. In fact, I will SLOW down to lessen the risk of a more severe accident.

Slowing down also gives the idiot behind more chance of overtaking as he can pass a slowing car more quickly.

It's not always a case of getting out of the way and letting them go.. over here.. sometimes it's not possible :)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I had one yesterday in a F*rd Ka, newish one I was driving my MCS, following me out of Leeds towards Harrogate, as there are loads of sets of traffic lights he kept catching me up, I think he was stupid enough to think his F*rd Ka could keep up with my S, I had lane discipline on the roundabouts he just cut across them (but still couldnt keep up obviously). Obviously i rocketed away from him when there was no traffic/traffic lights(keeping to the speed limit obviously). I stopped off at a petrol station and he looked across as he went passed me so I put my hand up to my mouth and yawned - think he got the picture (boring - go buy a car that will keep up with a clio bilabong - dreamer)
:D

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Have to agree with Ian's comments too I often slow down, maybe the time I just mentioned above I just decided to bite:D, a MCS is hardly going to get in the way of a F*ord Ka though. The guy I mentioned in my last post just suddenly decided he was going to tailgate me for no apparent reason, he had been doing a quite normal speed for 5 or 10 mins then it was like he had a split personality (split personality being normal(ish) driving to wannabe racing driver)

·
In my perfect MINI world
371 Posts
I loved the bumper sticker I saw (from a respectable distance behind, of course) "I WON't go ANY faster. I CAN go SLOWER."

No, when travelling along with traffic in any lane, I am not going to get over for someone who mistakenly feels it is their right to bully me out of the way.

·
Registered
949 Posts
In my younger days, it would be a handfull of pennies out the window or sunroof. I've been known to do some "highway bowling" as well with "procured" bowling balls from the local bowling alley. I'm not as aggressive as I used to be, but you'd better not sit on my ass if I'm in my 'Bird, because I will brake check you - HARD. With a 6-speed manual and 500hp at the rear wheels, there's a good chance you're not going to get around me. Good thing I don't drive that car much anymore, eh? :p

With the ricers I speed up just a little bit and turn on the 4-ways to let them know I "won". P!sses them off every time :D

·
Mini Design Philosopher
1,028 Posts
CurtP - interesting driving style - if I ever come near you I'll try not to check my brakes!!!

If someone tailgates me on a dual carriage way / motorway I'm quite happy to move across at the "earliest" opportunity (but not earlier!) and I just think to myself they've obviously got something to prove and i don't. Driving at higher speeds does get you from A to B quicker on a long journey, but driving eratically in traffic really doesn't. And don't get me wrong, I love accelerating hard at high speeds.

As for tailgating in residential areas - no matter how close you get I'm really not gonna drive any faster. Time to flick on the cruise control i think!!

·
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mataku said:
flashing is a sign to say to let them pass. If you are driving slow or sorta slow then I personally think that you should let the person pass. Allowing someone to tailgate you and angering them does not help the situation. Also I'm sure everybody has felt the frustration of driving behind a really slow person especially when they are in a rush. I myself have seen a few accidents occur because of slow driving so, next time instead of angering the person just let them go and get on with your day.

i have to say though that i've never been tailgated. I dont drive highway much, so I guess it doesnt leave room for much tailgating to happen. Always traffic signals to control everything.
I think you better re-read some of the posts here. Most people here stick to the limit and we don't speed up just to let c*nts passed...

If you wanna speed up and injure yourself, then go for it!

·
I can't spell
2,856 Posts
I hate tailgaters too and admit that I don't often come across them as I drive rather, shall I say, spirited on the highways here. I will also admit I used to be a tailgater and learned my lesson when I crashed my car into the back of someone else. I haven't tailgated since. Driving to school today, in the left lane I came upon a Lincoln that wasn't going fast enough for me. I could tell this guy wasn't going to move, so without tailgating him I got over to the right to pass him. The a$$hole speeds up so I can't pass him, just so he can prove he's what...manly :confused: The for the rest of the ride on the highway he would pull in front of me whenever he had the chance and laugh in the rear view mirror.
When I had the change to get next to him at a light, I rolled down my window and said "you must have a really small penis if you have to drive like that to prove something." He just sat there kind of dumbfounded as I pulled away when the light turned green.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Kinster said:
If you wanna speed up and injure yourself, then go for it!
As if obeying the speed limit gives you a non-injury or non-accident insurance. :eek:

I have seen enough dangerous situations that had nothing at all to do with speed and I´ve been in cars (as a passenger) going extremely beyond the speed limit without feeling any impression of danger. Doing 160 mph on a deserted 60 mph restricted (due to noise protection) Autobahn at night isn´t at all thrilling or especially dangerous, it´s just stupid to risk your license that way.

What most people don´t learn in the driving school - at least from what I´ve observed in Germany - is to drive appropriate to the actual road condition. They only learn to look for traffic signs and that results in horrifying brainless traffic signs like fog warning.

Don´t get me wrong, I´m not recommending breaking the speed limits here, I´m just resisting against the absoluteness of speed that speed limits suggest. Speed is relative. I´ve seen people driving extremely dangerous because of distraction, ignorance and dilettantism without coming close to the speed limit. But try to overtake such an autistic driver fully concetrated and totally aware of all the circumstacnes and you are the speeding roadkill maniac. :rolleyes:

I´m sorry Kinster, the whole posting went far beyond what I wanted to comment on your particular statement, but I had the impression the whole thread became very one-sided and stereotype.

Klaus

·
Privileged & Gifted
8,137 Posts
Minnie Mouse said:
Tell me about it......they feel a real sense of acheivement don't they as they whizz dangeroulsy past!!! As I am a female, that makes them feel even "bigger" :rolleyes:

Bless em, they really will grow up one day :D
Or perhaps not as they roll over into a ditch . I love the people in the passing car during snow storms that are all over your ass and speed by. I often pass them within a few miles and they are off the road.

·
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
KlausR said:
As if obeying the speed limit gives you a non-injury or non-accident insurance. :eek:

I have seen dangerous situation that had nothing at all to do with speed and I´ve been in cars (as a passenger) going extremely beyond the speed limit without feeling any impression of danger. Doing 160 mph on a deserted 60 mph restricted (due to noise protection) Autobahn at night isn´t at all thrilling or especially dangerous, it´s just stupid to risk your license that way.

What most people don´t learn in the driving school - at least from what I´ve observed in Germany - is to drive appropriate to the actual road condition. They only learn to look for traffic signs and that results in horrifying brainless traffic signs like fog warning.

Don´t get me wrong, I´m not recommending breaking the speed limits here, I´m just risiting against the absoluteness of speed that speed limits suggest. Speed is relative. I´ve seen people driving extremely dangerous because of distraction, ignorance and dilettantism without coming close to the speed limit. But try to overtake such an autistic driver fully concetrated and totally aware of all the circumstacnes and you are the speeding roadkill maniac. :rolleyes:

I´m sorry Kinster, the whole posting went far beyond what I wanted to comment on your particular statement, but I had the impression the whole thread became very one-sided and stereotype.

Klaus
I was sticking to the context about tailgaitors speeding up and over-taking... not just speeding in general. I usually go fast on motorways/highways and empty roads...

I just hate the d*ckheads that try and force you off the road, what's the rush? You need to prove something? You need to get to your day job?

Your apology is accepted...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts