MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks
I have recently purchased a 52 plate cooper to have as a 2nd car runabout. All is going great appart from a really annoying rattle from the tailgate.
I have removed the plastic tailgate cover thinking that it could be a loose wiper motor. All is good in that dept so I put the cover back on nice and tight but it still creaks and rattles away to its self. It really is quite loud, especially when you go over bumps.
It almost sounds like the tailgate is not closed properly but it is completely shut and the warning light is not on.

I purchased the car private sale so no warranty etc although the car was cheap as chips.

Any ideas what this could be?

·
Just been Clubbed!
379 Posts
Put a bit of insulation tape around the D latch on the boot catch and see if that solves it. If yes then either leave the tape in place or get a new one from the dealers £3 ish, its quite a common annoyance.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
The dealer fix is some felt tape wrapped round the D latch of the boot lid.... this stops the metal of the D tapping against the hook bit on the bumper/body ... I did it with a tiny bit of wrag and some black insulation tape to hold it.

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
There are 2 rubber feet type thingies that you can screw out a little - this will probably cure it. Do not turn them out too far otherwise the tailgate will be hard to shut.,

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CCheers guys.
I think I know what you mean but I am still a wee bit unsure, if that makes any sense.
Would someone be able to put a picture up of the fix with some instructions.
From what I am reading it sounds like I just wrap some black insulating tape around the extent of the metal hoop that sticks out the car body that the boot closes down onto.

·
Just been Clubbed!
379 Posts
Open your bootlid and look up at the underside of the hatch, you will see the D latch which clips into the lock when the bootlid shuts, nothing technical just a plain metal loop! Just wrap a little tape around this and see if this cures it, if not add a little more tape and so on, just dont add too much so the boot wont close properly.
Simple fix.

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
Ive had this noise for ages - thought it was just a MINI thing so havent done anything about it, thank goodness I can now get rid of it at last!!! :) Cheers guys, good info.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK I have wrapped the metal D hook in black insulating tape and it has sorted the rattle. Many thanks indeed for the top tip.

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
if you buy a new D loop from the dealers it would come coated in black plastic as that was the official fix for this issue - just depends how fussy you want to be on the look :)

·
The Saint
1 Posts
Amazing!

Excuse the french... but you guys are BLOODY AMAZING!!! I LOVE THIS FORUM!!

I've had a '53 plate Cooper for months now with that bloody annoying rattle... I just came back from the mechanic and he told me it was the exhust... and I said it wasnt.. he said it is, I guarantee it.

So I came home... put in google "mini2 tailgate rattle", and found this thread... bish bash bosh 2 mins later the problem was solved!

And last week you fixed my drivers electric window problem too!

LOVE IT... thanks guys!

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
Excuse the french... but you guys are BLOODY AMAZING!!! I LOVE THIS FORUM!!

I've had a '53 plate Cooper for months now with that bloody annoying rattle... I just came back from the mechanic and he told me it was the exhust... and I said it wasnt.. he said it is, I guarantee it.

So I came home... put in google "mini2 tailgate rattle", and found this thread... bish bash bosh 2 mins later the problem was solved!

And last week you fixed my drivers electric window problem too!

LOVE IT... thanks guys!
It is a good forum, isn't it? :D

All the best,
Andrew.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts