MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends and I were talking about the stock airbox, and how it's really bad.
It's small, and the pipes from the engine to the 'box are thin and with a lot of turns!
Don't you think it's strange that no one has come out with a better solution?
I was thinking of a complete new box and pipes, taking air from outside without noise reducting system like it is now!
It could be done moving the battery, making a bigger one...or simply making less turns and a direct opening for fresh air, in the low grill or where it is but with a straight pipe!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
About K&N etc, the problem is the way the air goes from the filter to the engine, because the turns there's a big waste of pressure so the induction effect it's almost totally lost, so it gives you a little more in the high revs with a lost of torque at low revs.
A perfect filter has to be straight pipe from outside to airbox, big airbox with filter bigger as possible, straight pipe to the engine. Sure the Mini in not like that.
The Cooper S is better, and is more compatible with induction kit thanks to the position.

I'll try to change the pipe from outside to the 'box with a straight pipe, and to use a better filtering element in the airbox.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts